cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring files from tape backup of old server?

Tom_Ludovise
Level 2

Hi, all. I'm trying to move files from a Win2K server to a Win2K3 server. Both of these server have separate copies of Backup Exec on them (versions 9 and 12.5). When I try to do a redirected Restore to the 2003 server using a tape backup of files on the old server, I get an error saying that I need the Agent installed somewhere. Why can't BE ver12.5 on my newer server restore files from a tape used on the old server?? (Or how do I do it?) What if the old server had died and I needed to get the files off the tape backup? Seems crazy! Do I have to install a copy of the old version of BE to the new server??

Thanks for any assistance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you restore your files to your Server 2003 machine, you need to load RAWS on the Server 2003 machine first.

If you do not have RAWS on your Server 2003 machine, you can restore to the media server and then copy the files to the Server 2003 machine.

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately without a RAWS on your new machine, you cannot restore to it.

If your Server 2000 machine dies, then the RAWS licence for it is free.  You can then load the RAWS on the new machine without the need to purchase any more RAWS licence.

As for your Novell RAWS, check with Symantec Licencing Dept. whether you can upgrade to use it on your new machine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you restore your files to your Server 2003 machine, you need to load RAWS on the Server 2003 machine first.

If you do not have RAWS on your Server 2003 machine, you can restore to the media server and then copy the files to the Server 2003 machine.

Tom_Ludovise
Level 2

Thanks, pkh. I guess I could just copy the files over in the first place, since the Server 2000 machine is still running. But what would I do if the Server 2000 machine were to die? I know the tapes I've been using for years and years can be read by BE on the Server 2003 machine. It seems ridiculous that I can't restore files that are sitting on the tape to the new server. Like I said both servers have licensed copies of BE, just different versions.

I used to have a copy of RAWS but it was for our old old old Novell server. So Symantec would make me purchase a copy for the 2003 server just to get the files off the old tape? Seems wrong.

Thanks for your input. I'm just surprised at this.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unfortunately without a RAWS on your new machine, you cannot restore to it.

If your Server 2000 machine dies, then the RAWS licence for it is free.  You can then load the RAWS on the new machine without the need to purchase any more RAWS licence.

As for your Novell RAWS, check with Symantec Licencing Dept. whether you can upgrade to use it on your new machine.

Tom_Ludovise
Level 2

>>If your Server 2000 machine dies, then the RAWS licence for it is free.  You can then load the

>>RAWS on the new machine without the need to purchase any more RAWS licence.

Can you tell me how this would work? Symantec would just give me a license? How would I show them that the server had died, and why wouldn't they give me one at no charge if I were decommissioning the server anyway? Or couldn't I just install my copy of the older version on the 2003 server and use it to restore my data?

Sorry for so many questions! I appreciate your help.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE licences are not server specific.  It is kind of an honour system.  You just have to make sure that you have the 1 RAWS licence for each remote machine/device that you have backing up from.  So if your machine dies and you have another one in its place, you are o.k as far as licences are concern.