2) Installed Windows 2003 standard;
3) Same name to the server and same IP (before disaster);
4) Didn't change the name of the workgroup; Didn't join the domain;
5) Installed SP1 to Windows 2003 standard
6) Installed the remote agent (pushing the agent from the media server);
7) Restored the 2 partitions of the server and the shadow copy
8) Job sucessfull;
9) Server restarted;

Windows appears to go through the start up process, however, just when you believe the login screen will appear, instead you can see a msgbox that says: "when trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct" and then the system reboots....

Can anyone help-me, I just installed the SP3 for BE 9.1 and checked the bedsnt5.dll file in the remote agent and it has the 9.1.4691.50 version.

Thanks in advance!
Martim
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
- Can you give us the Exact error msg?
- Did you make any other changes other than the restore.?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Martim_Silva
Level 2
The correct error message was a msgbox:

"when trying to update a password, this return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct"

Windows seams to load normaly, but instead the login/password I got this msgbox for +- 3secs then the systems reboots.

It's the only thing that happens.

I forgot to say that the backup was made last week 31 of July with Backup exec 9.1 with SP2

Just for the record: I tryed the recover with WINDOWS 2003 SP1, without SP1, with all updates. The best one was with just SP1.
I also tryed to change the name of workgroup:
tryed with the name of my domain (without joinning it)
and tryed with the default name of the dell instalation: WORKGROUPNAME

Every thing that I did is in my first posting.

Is there any hope?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This seems to be a known issue with Microsoft windows 2000/2003/XP and SBS 2003.
This is what Microsoft has to say in Q316134:
"this problem occurs because the OOBE cannot flush the Machine registry key before
the computer is restarted."

A hotfix is available from Microsoft, or you can wait for the next service pack (SP).

"the problem can come from a password file which is deteriorated (winNT/2000/XP)
it is enough to remove the password or the account user and to create another"

If you are still having a problem at this point, try:
1. Boot in Safe Mode (F8) and select "Last Known Good Configuration", or
2. Boot in Safe Mode and select Command Prompt and do a System Restore as detailed
in Q304449, or
3. Run the Recovery Console per Q307654 to repair your system.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Martim_Silva
Level 2
After long research I managed to restore one of the servers. It was my second domain controller.

But the other one (not domain controller) stopped restarting, but now I can only login locally and I can't login to the domain.

This is what I did, that worked for one server (DC) and not to the other one:

1) Format drives and create same partitions;
2) Give the same fixed IP the machine had before disaster;
3) Give the same name the machine had before disaster;
4) Install SP1 if it was installed at time of the backup;
5) Install remote agent (not Advanced Open File) and without restarting the machine start the restore;
6) after the restore is complete create a local user with admin rights (and give permition to that user to login locally in Active directory)
7) Logout the machine and login with the local user;
8) restart the machine

I did this with one of my Domain Controllers and it is working fine.

But my last week full backup of the other server has a problem, I am getting this error:
"Unable to swap out active registry hive S-1-5-20 with new data";

So I am using an older one. I think that one was made before I installed SP1 for Windows Server 2003 in that server.

This backup works fine if I don't install SP1 before the restore. But after restarting the machine I can't login to the Domain.

If I try to login to the Domain a msgbox says: "Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear your system administrator for assistance";

I double checked in active directory for the account of the server and everyting seams fine. If I check the properties of the account of my server in AD it says it has SP1 installed. So I also tryed to install SP1 after the restore, but I still can't login to the domain.

I tryed to describe everything that I did and what happened.
I hope anyone can help me. Thank in advance..

Martim

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please refer the following technote and revert with the results.
Title:
System State Restore using VERITAS Backup Exec fails with "Unable to swap out active registry hive with new data"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266879

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.