Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to delete storage "Catastrophic failure" backup exec 2014 SP2

M_Noor
Level 3

VSS service is running.

No alert in Symantec or event in windows

Get-BEDiskStorageDevice "storage name" | Remove-BEDiskStorageDevice not working 

Remove-BEDiskStorageDevice -InputObject *storagename* not working 

BEDB using BEutility done - no result 

Restarted the service a number of times. Even restart the machine - but no result

I faced a number of issue with backup exec. Really fed-up

Some of them are here 

• job status queued , i checked all suggestion from Symantec site, but failed  
  • AD restore,  i checked all suggestion from Symantec site, but failed  

There is any solution any one can suggest.

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You need to log a support case so that the engineer can edit this disk storage from the BEDB

M_Noor
Level 3

my maitenance contract to Backup exec.has been expaired, 

Regards

Noor

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Are all jobs which are targetted to the storage re-targetted to another storage ? Do ensure no utility jobs such as inventory etc are scheduled either to this storage. Was the storage set to offline and disabled from the UI before attempting to delete it ? Is there any NDMP server or is the storage shared by any other media servers ? Check the adamm.log for any errors/warnings. If none present, enable SGmon debugging and try to delete the storage again via the UI. Post the log over here.

M_Noor
Level 3

Sir,

Thanks for your responds 

Are all jobs targeted to the another storage

No utility jobs such as inventory or schedule 

Storage make disabled.

here he SGmon log details

1    BESERVER    9068    6/14/2015 12:34:40 PM    9352    16 CJobManagerBO::Query old QUERY
2    BESERVER    9068    6/14/2015 12:34:40 PM    9352    05 AdammAdminBO::Delete() - Entity = BACKUP_TO_DISK
3    PVLSVR    7468    6/14/2015 12:34:40 PM    8308    PvlEntityDatabase::DeleteEntity()
        ParentEntityType = MACHINE_ENTITY_TYPE
        ParentEntityGuid = {0E4B5029-7666-4AA0-AC56-81DDC8B1488D}
        EntityType = BACKUP_TO_DISK_ENTITY_TYPE
        EntityFlags = 0000
        BackupToDisk = {93FD5952-6F2F-4CFE-B956-8DD77F280D66}, ""
4    PVLSVR    7468    6/14/2015 12:34:40 PM    8308    AdammSession::DeleteEntity() : Exception!
        Session = {32BB50AF-76BF-4DB9-B42C-BCD91B7B616E}
5    BESERVER    9068    6/14/2015 12:34:40 PM    9352    05 AdammAdminBO:Delete() - hr = 0x8000ffff
6    BESERVER    9068    6/14/2015 12:34:48 PM    6880    -1 SecurityBO: Successfully setup RAWS certs.
7    BESERVER    9068    6/14/2015 12:34:59 PM    4104    -1 SetServiceStatus: state: SERVICE_RUNNING check point: 0 wait hint: 0

Regards

Noor

VJware
Level 6

Verbose debugging will probably be required to figure out the cause. I would recommend to log a formal support case so that Support can help you with removing the storage.

M_Noor
Level 3

ok thanks,

how i can Log a formal support case>

Regards

VJware
Level 6

You can do via the phone or the MySymantec online portal. This may help - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/opening-technical-support-case

Perry_D
Level 2

I have the same problem “Catastrophic Failure” when trying to delete an obsolete disk. In fact, for no apparent reason BE did not want to make any back-ups any longer, all jobs kept hanging in queue. After replacing the HD and retargeting the jobs it started to work again. A full integrity scan of the former HD (in another system) revealed zero errors. Hence, I believe something else went wrong with the BE database. I guess the easiest solution is to forget the 'old' drive and just continue with the new one which is working OK for now. But we want to get rid of the old storage in BE which results in the Catastrophic Failure.

I found this solution: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/How-do-i-remove-a-disc-storage/td-p/525147 I cannot reply there, since the thread is apparently closed.

Problem here is at point 8. There's nothing in the table, just an empty list. Any idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks for any suggestion.