cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

uninstall sql server express containing backupexec DB. Reinstall BE DB and retain BE settings after a 2005 standard install

ryanr1
Level 2

This is my first post here so I hope I am in the appopriate foum.

I have an old database server which has fallen out of production.  It has backup exec 12.0 on it and is currently just managing backups for all the servers .  This is a small environment, only 4 servers.
It had SQL 2000 on it. and Backup exec DB running outside in its own sql 2005 express instance.
I recently uninstalled 2000  and would like to install 2005 standard on it to play with the failover feature.  Durring the install I get a warning about needing to  run the install from the command line to upgrade, which is not what I want to do.  It looks as though I can go on with out upgrading,  but I get to the advanced install and I am unable to change the management tools location due to SQL shared folderd already being assigned.

I have read that uninstalling the sql express might remove the assigned shares allowing me to install entirely to D:, which would be the ideal install. 

So... my question is:
Is there a procedure for uninstalling the sql express instance containing BE DB, and holding on to the data files, at which point I would then like to install sql server 2005 standard, and then renstall the BE DB to an additonal sql express instance through manual install, or some sort of Backup exec repair, similar to how the initial install creates the seperate instance? 

I would  like to retain all the current info in BE without having to redo backup jobs etc.

All opinions and suggestion would be very welcome. 
As said, this is a small environment, so redoing backup exec entirly would not be an impossible task.

Thank You,
Ryan

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
every night at 0400, BackupExec created a BEDB.BKF  file from the active database

Sounds like the best thing would be to remove BackupExec completely, boot and then re-install

See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/319367.htm

As long as you have that and the \Catalogs folder (as well as any B2D folders) either on Tape or saved to a network share, you should be able to get back to where you are with very little problem