cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wasting tapes

Ms__Creant
Level 4
I've got a monthly duplicate job that runs fine - tape says appendable, only has 58.5GB used, 140GB free - but will not append another job....I'm wasting tapes like crazy.....just ignores that tape and uses others. I can understand it not using that tape for a job that is spanning media but for my other jobs that will fit, it should append....no?

11d
Windows 2000 server
Plenty of disk space and memory
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the second job specify the same media set used by the job that created/overwrote the tape?

What is the APP (Append Period) for that media set, when was the tape created/overwritten?

Ms__Creant
Level 4
1 - media set looks consistent
2 - tape is appendable until 3/20/08 ans was allocated on 2/21/08....4 week append period

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

If the tape is within the OPP of the media set, and if the jobs both specify the same media set, the only thing I can think of is

"Are  the follow-on jobs defined as Append"

If the answer is yes, my only recommendation would be to recreate both the overwrite and append jobs from scratch (even specifiying a new Selection List).   Sometimes Backup Exec seems to corrupt job settings without changing the specification

Ms__Creant
Level 4
Hmmmm.....all my jobs are append......also this job was created recently - way after the other policies/jobs....I guess it is corrupt.....UGH......it's like once that job writes it doesn't want anything else on the tape....thanks for your help tho.