cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the best method to migrate BEW from 9.1 to 10?

Paul_Kay
Level 2
There is also a twist to this request. We are planning to do a fresh install of Server 2003 on the existing Windows 2000 server. I will say I found the KB article on migrating the job/log information on 9.x to another computer with 9.1 but only if it is the same OS version which it is not in this case. Would the best solution be to upgrade it to version 10 on 2000 and save and then restore after 2003 and BEWS 10 is installed new? Thanks for any information you may have.
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

As you have mentioned that you are going to perform a fresh install of Windows 2003, it will not be possible to upgrade Backup Exec versions. You will need to perform a fresh install of Backup Exec as well.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Kay
Level 2
so are you saying there is absolutely no way to retain our job configuration and past catalog data at all? I find that very hard to believe. can this be turned over to a support call by chance?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As you want to perform the fresh install of Windows 2003 over existing windows 2000, then in this case you will hav eto do a fresh installation of Backup Exec.
Please note when you have installed BE v9.1 on windows 2000, the installation relates to the underlined operating system.Now if you want to use then same confoguration with windows 2003 on the same server it will not function properly cause the operating system differs.

As you have mentioned here that you have referred the Technote related to thsi issue, have you referred the following technote?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/260054

In your scenario we suggest you to upgrade the Backup Exec v9.1 to B Ev10.0 on Windows 2000 server and then upgrade the Whole OS to windows 2003 server.

If you have further queries please contact us.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.