cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what kind of product do i have to buy?

jalonso
Level 3
Hi everyone,

i have two servers with windows 2003 standard x32.
One of them is the Dc and the other is a member.
In the member server i have installed Backup Exec 11 .
In adition, i have several machines in the domain which i want to backup.
The problem is that i want to bakup files in the dc.
I have installed remote agent in all machines. I want to backup some files of any machine in the dc server using backup exec installed in the other member server.
is it posible?
what do i have to install, another backup exec server in the dc server?
any other product?

thanks in advance!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jalonso
Level 3
A genereric error, it sais that can not access to the folder because I don't have permissions.
But it's not true, because I can access by explorer o UNC.

i found a solution, i installed Backup exec in server B, and marked server A as Administration server for backup exec.

Then I connect server B as a Device Server, and finally i'm able to do the backups, but i cannot believe that i have to purchase anhoter license ob Bakup Exec for this issue.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need one Backup Exec base serial on the media server (the one that the console runs on and that owns the tape drive)

then you need one RAWS (remote agent for windows servers) for each remote machine.  Install the serials on the media server and the agents themselves on the remote servers

jalonso
Level 3
Thank you for that quickly answer.

The scenario i describe is diferent than yours. I will describe mine better than before:

I have a server A, a server B and a host C.
I have Backup exec installed on A.
I want to backup files from host C to server B, using Backup exec installed on A.
Remote Agents are installed on server B and host C.

When i try to create a network forder as a backup destination, it fails.

I suppose that i have to install something else, but i dont know what.

thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

You should be able to define a B2D device on any share that the BESA has access to

any specific errors when you try to create the device?

jalonso
Level 3
A genereric error, it sais that can not access to the folder because I don't have permissions.

i found a solution, i installed Backup exec in server B, and marked server A as Administration server for backup exec.

Then I connect server B as a Device Server, and finally i'm able to do the backups, but i cannot believe that i have to purchase anhoter license ob Bakup Exec for this issue.

Thank you.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if you logon to the media server as the BESA, can you map and access shares on the NAS?