Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which symantec product?

GrEEnbYte
Level 2

Hello

I am a bit confused about the backup exec products and the needed agents:

Maybe someone could give me a hint which software (and which agents are needed) to use.

I thought of the V-Ray Edition

We need a Backup Software for the following scenario:

SBS Server 2008 with Exchange and SQL is running on vmware esxi.

The server should be backed up to a NAS where the backup disks are changed manually.

Additionally an (Archive) Backup should be made of two exchange mailboxes, preferably to a blu ray writer or something like that.

Thank you very much for your help!

MIchael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Could you give me a hint where you found the recommendation not to install in VMs generally?

See Colin Weaver's comment in this discussion, in particular the part about alternate configuration, and the documents quoted

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r3-installed-vmware-vsphere-4-esxi-41-u1guest-machine#comment-5641011

An other question for the SBS BE edition is:

do I need an additional agent  to backup to NAS with two media?

You don't need any additional licences to back up to a NAS.

do I need an additional agent to make an (Archive) Backup of two exchange mailboxes?

If you do ordinary backup, then you don't need any additional licence.  If you want to archive your mails then you would need to purchase the Archive option, but the SBE edition does not allow you to add any other options.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi MIchael,

If you want to backup those VMs in their entirety, then V-Ray is possibly your answer. Check for more details below:

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=vray

BE doesn't support optical drives either, so you'd need to backup-to-disk using BE, and then use your Blu-ray writer's software to write the data to optical disk.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Where are you planning to install BE?  I hope that it is not in the SBS machine because Symantec does not recommend the use of a VM for a media server.

2) If you are just backing up 1 SBS machine, it might be cheaper for you to get the BE SBS edition.  The V-Ray edition is meant for a highly virtualised environment.

You might want to read the Licencing Guide to see what you are getting with each edition.

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

GrEEnbYte
Level 2

Hello

thanks for your answers.

We planned to install BE on the SBS 2008. As far as I could see, it is only not recommended to install on Hyper-v (Core installation).

But the Server is running on vmware.

Could you give me a hint where you found the recommendation not to install in VMs generally?

do I need an additional agent to make an (Archive) Backup of two exchange mailboxes?

ciao

Michael

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See Colin Weaver's comment in this discussion, in particular the part about alternate configuration, and the documents quoted

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r3-installed-vmware-vsphere-4-esxi-41-u1guest-machine#comment-5641011

You don't need any additional licences to back up to a NAS.

If you do ordinary backup, then you don't need any additional licence.  If you want to archive your mails then you would need to purchase the Archive option, but the SBE edition does not allow you to add any other options.

adpwl1
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

You guys do understand that SBE2012 Edition is ONLY for Microsoft Windows Agent based backups and Hyper-V backups and a max of 3 server total; including the BE server itself.  If you plan to do vStorage backups of your SBS server, its not possible with SBE2012.

With what your're suggesting, using SEB2012, you will have to install the Remote agent into the guest OS's and treat them as physical server for the backup.

I would suggest you consider the V-Ray edition as it licensed per PROC in the VM Environment.

See the license guide for assistance:  http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en-us.pdf

What is your Geo?  US/EMEA.....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I pretty much think we already covered what you said wink