cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will a redirected system state recovery effect the backup server's system

bill_likely
Level 2
My backup server is also a domain controller.

I have a tape that contains an old system state backup from a few months back. Within the system state backup is a copy of the contents of the sysvol directory from back then. Within the sysvol directory is a vb script that I need to recover. I don't want to restore the system state to the computer because that will set me back several months.

I'm hoping that I can redirect the system state recovery to a directory on the backup server and then just get the file out of that directory. I want to make sure that if I do this, it won't affect the running system state.

The documentation with BES is sketchy on this point. Can anyone set my mind at ease?

-Bill
3 REPLIES 3

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Bill,
System State Backup contains Hardware and OS related information along with Registry. This cannot be Redirected to anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Regards

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Well since the sysvol directory is just a normal folder within the windows directory tree I imagine you should be able to restore that individual file. Have you only got the "system state" data, eg only what's listed in Backup Exec as such, or do you also have the actual system data from the server. If you've got the actual system data can you drill down into the physical sysvol folder, and restore the file through there.

Keith

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Bill,

Please check out the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270481