cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong media set used (archive)

DMTI_Ilya
Level 2

Hi there.

We have Backup Exec v 12.5 and I am trying to archive a rather large directory (around 1.6Tb). There isn't enough space on one tape so it jumps to the overwrittable tape. What puzzles me is that I do have 2 tapes marked as 'archive' with no write protection. What do I need to do to prevent weekly backup being overwritten and BE using both Archive tapes?

Thanks

Ilya

8 REPLIES 8

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Firstly, make sure that your Media Protection settings (Tools, Options, Media Management)are set to Full or Partial.

Once you've done that, Backup Exec won't overwrite any tape that is in its Overwrite Protection Period. The OPP is defined by the media set the media is placed in, and applies from the last time data was written to that media.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2 tapes marked as 'archive' with no write protection ".

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Create a different media set for archives...

As you have almost 1.6 TB data BE moves 2 or 3 (if LTO4) tapes into that media set for the first time.

Then whenever the same job runs again BE first looks into that mediaset for recyclable media if you choose Overwrite Protection Level and Overwrite Protection option as Full and Overwrite recyclable media first.

As you said, if you have zero overwrite protection on that particular media set, BE will not use any media from other media set/scratch media set.

But note that it is not recommended to have Zero OPP.

DMTI_Ilya
Level 2

thank you for you responses.

I do have Archive set - changed from 'scratched' to 'archive' media set. In options the settings as suggested "Full - protect..." and "Overwrite recyclable..."

BE picks up the first "archive" LTO4, but once it runs out of space it jumps to a "weekly" media set which is scheduled for a incremental backup tonight and has "appendable until" tomorrow morning date.

When I set up the backup job I ensure to select to use "archive" media set.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Is there another tape in the 'ARCHIVE" media set that is overwriteable?  When an Append job fills the first tape, it will only continue on an overwriteable tape

With your settings, if BackupExec cannot find an Overwriteable tape in the Archive media set, it will grab the oldest Overwriteable tape in any media set that it can find

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Assumes that you have media inside scratch media set.

If so, change the Overwrite Protection Level and Overwrite Protection Option to Full & Overwrite Scratch Media First.

So that, BE will use one more media from Scratch Media SET.

Once your job completes successfully, change Overwrite Protection Level and Overwrite Protection Option to Full & Overwrite Recyclable Media First.

I hope this helps....

DMTI_Ilya
Level 2

Thank you

I'll try these solutions and let you know

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi DMTI_llya,

Is your issue solved?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...just to add to Hywel's post above, if you have a multi-slot autoloader/library, then you can use his suggestion in conjunction with partitioning the autoloader (assuming you haven't already!).

Once done, target your archive job to this partition. This will ensure you don't select overwritable media you'd like to keep in another set...