CE SiteMinder application in a cluster environment

Pietro_from_Mon
Level 3
Partner
Hi,
   we are planning to set up an HA Geo Redundancy setup in a particular
environment where there is an authentication server. This server works with
CE SiteMinder application.

I'd like to understand if would be possible to make Veritas working.

More deeply the problem is about the single authentication of one server/cluster that
could be a problem when the server/cluster changes due to a switch/failover.

If anybody have news about this, if in general Veritas supports SiteMinder or vice versa.

Thank you in advance for your help
Pietro
4 REPLIES 4

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Pietro, haveyou contacted support? I can't help with this one.

Pietro_from_Mon
Level 3
Partner
Hi Gene,
   I opened a case with support, lets see if they can help me, I know its a tricky issue.
Really shouldnt be a question only for Veritas but SiteMinder support is really hard for me to obtain.

Thank you for your quick answer
Pietro

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
Hi Pietro,
If Gene doesn't know the answer, then I don't think anyone else here will be able to give you a definite answer!
I'll admit I've never heard of Siteminder before. I don't think it's on the software compatability list. This means you have two options:
  1. You can try and work out for yourself what you need to do to cluster the application. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes it isn't easy, and sometimes it's not possible.
  2. You can engage Veritas/Symantec consulting to write an agent for you. This will be supported, but it will cost money.

Pietro_from_Mon
Level 3
Partner
Hi,
   I mistell the name : its " CA Siteminder" here is the link of the company : http://ca.com/us/

Second I think I gave wrong idea of the setup, I dont want to put this application under VCS control.

The "Policy Server" as its called where CA Siteminder is running is somewhere in the company LAN
so nothing to do with our 2 clusters running VERITAS

But the problem is if one cluster is authenticated (the application under VCS connects to the Policy Server asking for authentication) than its not clear what happens if a failover goes and that application start running on another cluster.... does the authentication still work, can be done another authentication, what else ?

We are going to test this, in some way different from customer setup but we hope to verify the compatibility.

Its strange for me nobody already discovered this since Siteminder is very common in companies LANs as
a server to authenticate everything inside the company (every application)

Regards
Pietro