cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR BETWEEN to location

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
Hi All,

I want to create a DR between two Sites. AT source site i have server with windows 2003 and SQL 2000  installed on it and at target site i have a same setup (i.e a server with windows 2003 and SQL 2000  installed on it) there is no External storage connected to both the server. And both source site  and target site is connected with 2mbps Lease line.

My requirement is:

1) If source server fails my Traget server should auotmatically take over (i.e to configure replication & HA between two server).

Can any one tell me how its possible with Veritas Storage foundation with HA and Veritas Volume Replicator.?

As i had not found any of the document on veritas website which guide us how to Configure HA between two different Site (Geographically Different Site) without using external Storage.

3 REPLIES 3

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
You don't state the distance or the amount of data to be replicated. Do you have multiple disks or is all data on C drive?

You can replicate with internal disks by making them part of a SFW dynamic disk group. I taught this very setup in New York last week.

Automatic failover between remote sites is a very bad thing. Failure of the link between the sites and failure of the site appear the same.

You need to download VRAdvisor and collect data at both sites to see how much data you are writing. All writes must be replicated. VRAdvisor can then give you information on the size log you will need at each site for a transaction log of data being written to the secondary and also the bandwidth requirement.

Sandeep_Sawant
Level 4
Hi All,

Thanks Gene Henriksenfor your reply. Data size is Approx 200 - 300 GB. Can you please give the Step for Configuring the Same.

Thanks & Regards.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
It isn't the amount of data, but the rate of change that is important. You could have 300 GB of data and a very low rate of change so a small amount of network bandwidth. On the other hand, you could have a 20GB database with a high rate of change that would require much more bandwidth.

This topic requires 2 and a half days to teach (with labs) and several hundered pages of course material. To describe the process is beyond the scope of a forum. You should start by measuring rate of data change with VRAdvisor, there is a seperate PDF for the VRadvisor in the product CD. Measure the data writes for two to four weeks and then determine if the avaiable bandwidth is adequate for your requirements.