cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use one IP address for service & GCO & VVR?

heroland
Level 2

I have a project using 2+1 vcs cluster. There are two sites. 1st site has 2 servers using local vcs cluster and 2nd site has 1 server using VVR( sync data from the 1st site). My question is I have not too much ip address resource. Is is possible for use 4 ip address for the cluster?(3 ips for 3 servers, 1 for floating  ip in 1st site).

Pls check the attached file for the ip address i designed, it need 9 ip address. But maybe only 4 ip address i can get from customer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VCS may work with just one floating IP, but the config may not be supported as what you would need to do is have:

2 node cluster:

VVR, Application, GCO (ClusterAddress) all use the same one floating IP with service groups configured as

• Replication group with floating IP and WAC (wide area connector) resource.
  • Application group with DNS resource which would update App -> cluster1 where cluster1 is floating IP.

1 node Cluster

VVR, Application, GCO (ClusterAddress) all use the same physcial address of the node with service groups configured as

• Replication group with floating IP and the WAC resource could also be in this service group to be consistent with other cluster or it could be in the ClusterService group where it is supposed to be.
  • Application group with DNS resource which would update App -> cluster2 where cluster2 is physcial address of the node.

The reason this config may not be supported is that the ClusterService group is a special service group and you can't use this in your 2 node cluster as the WAC resource needs to follow the IP in the replication service group.  So ideally you could with another IP for the 2-node cluster so that GCO and VVR IP are separate.

Note also be using the same IP for application and VVR, one may effect the other (i.e VVR traffic could effect Applcation network performance and vice versa).

Mike

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

VCS may work with just one floating IP, but the config may not be supported as what you would need to do is have:

2 node cluster:

VVR, Application, GCO (ClusterAddress) all use the same one floating IP with service groups configured as

• Replication group with floating IP and WAC (wide area connector) resource.
  • Application group with DNS resource which would update App -> cluster1 where cluster1 is floating IP.

1 node Cluster

VVR, Application, GCO (ClusterAddress) all use the same physcial address of the node with service groups configured as

• Replication group with floating IP and the WAC resource could also be in this service group to be consistent with other cluster or it could be in the ClusterService group where it is supposed to be.
  • Application group with DNS resource which would update App -> cluster2 where cluster2 is physcial address of the node.

The reason this config may not be supported is that the ClusterService group is a special service group and you can't use this in your 2 node cluster as the WAC resource needs to follow the IP in the replication service group.  So ideally you could with another IP for the 2-node cluster so that GCO and VVR IP are separate.

Note also be using the same IP for application and VVR, one may effect the other (i.e VVR traffic could effect Applcation network performance and vice versa).

Mike

heroland
Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  I will try with your solution.