cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a new node on VSFCF

UnixFan
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Could you please let me know the procedure/steps to add a 4th node on a existing  Veritas 5.0 cluster with CVM/CFS when the cluster is live.

I also need help to configure the i/o fencing where all other three nodes are configured ,any risks if we add a node to a live cluster ..?

in case if I  update the /etc/llthosts ,on all other three nodes  and update the /etc/llthosts,/etc/llttab ,/etc/gabtab , /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf,

/etc/vxfendg and /etc/vxfentab as it is as other nodes to the new node and reboot the new node ,does this will join the cluster with all required onfigurations ..?

Really appreciate if any of you could show let me know the best and easy way of doing this without much risk.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You wont be able to do it without stopping all the ports (a,d,b,o,v, etc etc). Details in the link below. The reason being that gab knows it has x hosts, so if you add another you'll have to update the gabtab with +1, and then restart the whole stack. You can do this with while leaving the application online (hastop -force -all) but bringing down the cluster (had). You'll then need to stop all the individual components as described in the note, update the files as listed by you in the post, then start them all again one by one, checking gabconfig -a to see that all four hosts join.

I would suggest to rather have downtime if possible.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49819

R

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You wont be able to do it without stopping all the ports (a,d,b,o,v, etc etc). Details in the link below. The reason being that gab knows it has x hosts, so if you add another you'll have to update the gabtab with +1, and then restart the whole stack. You can do this with while leaving the application online (hastop -force -all) but bringing down the cluster (had). You'll then need to stop all the individual components as described in the note, update the files as listed by you in the post, then start them all again one by one, checking gabconfig -a to see that all four hosts join.

I would suggest to rather have downtime if possible.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49819

R

UnixFan
Level 3

Riaan,

Appreciate your feed back and reference to the doc,

I wonder if  we do a hasys -add <system>  wont add  the new node to the cluster ..?  ,once its part of the cluster then we can use the hagrp -add command to add the required Service groups to that node including cvm correct ..?

I did this way for the normal VCS ,I never did it for CFS/CVm cluster  ..appreciate if you any thought ..

Thanks

g_lee
Level 6

LLT and GAB need to see the new system _before_ you add it to VCS with hasys -add <newsys>; so the steps specified in the document Riann provided still apply - this is particularly important for CVM/CFS due to the additional ports; however the requirement to reload GAB & LLT is still the same for "standard" VCS as well.