Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network setup for VMware and VCS

thstettler
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

I am trying to set up a cluster consisting of four VMware VMs. I am still having problems finding how to set up the network connections for these systems.
I have read that we need vNetwork Distributed Switches for this. Is that correct? We are installing this into an existing ESX infrastructure and we do not have any spare NICs anymore. So I suppose we have to move some of the NICs to the new VDS.

I would be really grateful if you could help me, or poiunt me in the right direction.

Regards
Thomas

ESX 5.x
VCS 6.0.2
RHEL 6

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Thomas,

The use of vDS (Distributed Switches) is not a requirement.  It does make it easier from a vMotion point of view but there is nothing in our VCS implementation that requires the use of Distributed Switches.

When using Standard Switches, make sure that all ESX servers are using the same names and networks for their standard switches.  This will allow the VMs to move between ESX servers when using vMotion, VMware HA and/or DRS fuctionalities.

Thank you,

Wally

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

arangari
Level 5

Did you check the guide? 

https://sort.symantec.com/documents/doc_details/vcs/6.0.2/Linux/ProductGuides/

I suppose you need to create virtual NICs connected to a virtual switch. these will act as private interconect. 

thstettler
Level 3

Hi Amit,

Yes, I have checked the guides. It could well be that I just dould not find it, but neither the release notes, nor the admin guide nor the virtualization guide seem to answer this question.

Of most concern to us is the question whether we do need vDS or could just use the vSwitches already configured. This is an existing ESX infrastructure and the admins do not really want to move some of the NICs to vDS. Is there a best practices guide for this?

Regards

Thomas

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Thomas,

The use of vDS (Distributed Switches) is not a requirement.  It does make it easier from a vMotion point of view but there is nothing in our VCS implementation that requires the use of Distributed Switches.

When using Standard Switches, make sure that all ESX servers are using the same names and networks for their standard switches.  This will allow the VMs to move between ESX servers when using vMotion, VMware HA and/or DRS fuctionalities.

Thank you,

Wally

thstettler
Level 3

Hi Wally,

Thank you for your inisight. I suppose vDS make this consistency easier, since everything is handled centrally. 

This takes a load off my mind.

Thomas

Wally_Heim
Level 6
Employee

Hi Thomas,

Yes, vDS makes it easier to keep things consistent in larger environments.  I do use Standard switches in my test environments that I create without any issues.  But my test environments are typically only 2 ESX servers so it is very easy to make sure that they use the same name.

Good luck with your testing.  Please let us know if you have any other problems.

Thank you,

Wally