cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resource Type - NumThreads question

chris_bishop
Level 3
I have a service group with 205 volume and mount resources. A switchover can take well over 10 minutes. Will increasing NumThreads on Volume + Mount speed this up?

The 4.0 book says NumThreads Default = 10. However, hatype for Volume and Mount lists NumThreads = 1.

ps. Hello Gene H. Hope all is well!
5 REPLIES 5

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
NumThreads is 1 for all VM related resource types because vxconfigd is single threaded. Having more threads (particularly for lots of resources) could lead to monitor/start/stop timeouts.

Do you have the DG set to StopVolumes=1 and StartVolumes=1? The command it uses for those only sends 1 command to vxconfigd to stop/start all volumes.

Also, there are many consultants who do not use the Volume resource on the grounds that the DG can start/stop and the Mount will acutally report failures of the volume when it cannot update the super block or do file IO. That would mean 205 fewer resources.

And, by the way, I am doing fine, just returned from vacation riding my bicycle up and down the mountains in the Shenandoah Valley.

chris_bishop
Level 3
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the response. After I typed out my message the other day, I realized that I do not have over 200 mount resourses. I have several mounts, and I do have over 200 volume resourses. The majority are raw, for Sybase. In this case, I believe I do need the volume resourses.

I have DiskGroup start & stop volumes set to 0.

What, if anything could I do, to get those raw volumes to start faster. I would have thought that increasing Volume NumThreads might do it.

You think not?

Thanks... Chris

chris_bishop
Level 3
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the response. After I typed the original message, I realized that I do not have 205 mount resources. I have several. However, I do have over 200 Volume resources, the majority being raw, for Sybase. In this case, I would think that I need the Volume reources.

DiskGroup start/stop volumes is set to 0.

What, if anything, could be done to get the volumes started faster. I would have thought that setting Volume NumThreads might have helped.

Thanks,
Chris

chris_bishop
Level 3
Aplogies for what appears to be duplicate responses. My first response did not show up until I entered the 2nd. It is Monday morning. Perhaps I need some more coffee.

Gene_Henriksen
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Did you manke sure the DG Stop/StartVolumes is set to 1? Actually with raw volumes, the app will notice the problem when it cannot write and fail. So the Vol resource is debatable.