cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCS - Triggers - Tibco EMS

Kaps
Level 3

Gents,

What is the best place to look for VCS triggers ? I am looking for one to manage Tibco EMS service.

Regards,

Kaps
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee
Any specific reason you want to write triggers for Tibco EMS? We have recently released the VCS agent for Tibco EMS, and also there is a white paper available on how to cluster Tibco EMS. Please follow this link:
http://vos.symantec.com/agents

In the drop down if you select Tibco EMS, you will be able to download the agent with the agent documentation and
an appnote on how to cluster Tibco.

Hope that helps,
Satish/

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee
Any specific reason you want to write triggers for Tibco EMS? We have recently released the VCS agent for Tibco EMS, and also there is a white paper available on how to cluster Tibco EMS. Please follow this link:
http://vos.symantec.com/agents

In the drop down if you select Tibco EMS, you will be able to download the agent with the agent documentation and
an appnote on how to cluster Tibco.

Hope that helps,
Satish/

Kaps
Level 3

No, I do not want to write one if there is something readily available. I am new to the whole VCS stuff. Kinda getting closer to it. Thanks for the URL. I will post more specific questions in case I do run into some trouble. Appreciate your input.

Regards, Kaps

Kaps
Level 3

Saved my time brother. This is what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Kaps
Level 3
The agent seems to be pretty good as far as the installation goes. But it has an issue,

It seems to be pre-configured for Tibco EMS 32 bit version ( TibcoEMS.pm ==> $sCommand = "$sEMSHomeDir/tibemsd"; ), the version my customer has, uses "tibemsd64"

So this is not going to be of much help to me. Is there a 64 bit version of Agent ?.

Kaps
Level 3
Changed the variable to use the 64 bit executable, seems to be working so far.

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

Alternatively you could create a symlink as tibemsd ->  tibemsd64.

Kaps
Level 3
True , I did not want to remove any application binary file in order to create that link.

Another issue I noticed is that, for some reason VCS thinks that the startup script did not end. So in my case, when the resource comes up, It actually reports a failure. But once the monitor figures out the aps is up, VCS reports the resource as online.

Quote ::
TibcoEMS:Tibco-EMS3:online:<TibcoEMS::ExecLocalCmd> Command [/opt/tibco/software/ems/5.1/bin/tibemsd64] with args [-config /opt/tibco/data/stressEMSServer3/config/tibemsd.conf  &] did not complete within [289] seconds   

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee
Glad that the agent is working for you. Can you share the main.cf with the section relevant to Tibco-EMS3 resource? Also if you are using any other user than root for configuring TibcoEMS resource, can you provide the user shell for the particular user?

Kaps
Level 3

Did not come back to this URL after I got the work done :). The problem has been fixed manualy, a formal fix is expected from Symantec sometime soon. The error was in one of the modules that VCS uses, One of my collegue figured it out.

Tibco runs as a user other than root.

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

The TibcoEMS agent uses the VRTSacclib package (ACCLib perl modules). Make sure you have installed the latest VRTSacclib package for your platform. You can download the same from https://vos.symantec.com/agents
I am hoping that this will fix the issue rather than manually editing any vcs files. If that doesn't solve the problem please
provide us the details regarding how you solved it.

Kaps
Level 3
The latest VRTSacclib is 5.2.2.0 and it says 'not tested'.

Can you please confirm the bug that we are talking about has been addressed at this level ( or any level that is out there ) ?.

This is the one we have installed.

$ pkginfo -l VRTSacclib
   PKGINST:  VRTSacclib
      NAME:  Veritas Cluster Server ACC Library 5.0 by Symantec
  CATEGORY:  application
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  5.0
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  Symantec Corporation
      DESC:  Veritas Cluster Server ACC Library 5.0 by Symantec
    PSTAMP:  Veritas-5.0MP3-08/29/08-16:43:00
  INSTDATE:  Apr 22 2010 11:52
     FILES:       28 installed pathnames
                   4 shared pathnames
                   9 directories
                  19 executables
                 915 blocks used (approx)

Kaps
Level 3
The problem is that the startup script does not go in background as designed. Are there any customers who clustered EMS on VCS 5.0 with this agent other than me ?

Satish_K__Pagar
Level 5
Employee

Please go ahead and install the latest VRTSacclib package. Version 5.2.2.0 as of AgentPack-1Q2010. This should fix the issue.

Kaps
Level 3
Can you guide me to the documentation of this release . I am looking for the exact document that describes, this is a bug and iut has been fixed. Because on the other end, my collegue is trying to convince Symantec it is a bug with no much success :(

Kaps
Level 3

Never mind

Kaps
Level 3
I am trying to understand the behaviour of this agent's RestartLimit parameter. I have configured this value to "1". So if I kill it, it restarts it. If I kill it next time, it does not restart.

Any idea when it resets the Retry counter OR declare the apps to be stable ?. Is that a configurable parameter ?

g_lee
Level 6
From the User's Guide:
RestartLimit (user-defined)
Note: This attribute can be overridden.
Number of times to retry bringing a resource online when it is taken offline unexpectedly and before VCS declares it FAULTED.

If the attribute has been set to 1, that means one restart. When the app is killed the first time, that's one fault, so it restarts it. When the app is killed the second time, that's 2 faults. 2>1 [configured RestartLimit value], so it doesn't restart.

Regarding resetting the counter - see the ConfInterval type attribute (description below)

ConfInterval (user-defined)
Note: This attribute can be overridden.
When a resource has remained online for the specified time (in seconds), previous faults and restart attempts are ignored by the agent. (See ToleranceLimit and RestartLimit attributes for details.)
- Type and dimension: integer-scalar
- Default: 600 seconds

Kaps
Level 3

Thank you.