cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Cluster Server

harshman1958
Level 3

How can i check what version of Veritas Cluster server i am running and how can I update?  I need to basically update the embedded java version.  thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As I understand, the embedded java is only used by the VCS Java Console.  The VCS java console and hence also VRTSjre/VRTSjre15 packages have not been shipped with the product since 5.1.  

If you have VRTSjre or VRTSjre15 installed, then if you remove VRTScscm (VCS Java console) and VRTScscim (VCS Simulator) if either of these are installed, then you should be able to remove the VRTSjre/VRTSjre15 package.  You do not need to run the java GUI on the cluster nodes - you can run it from any Linux/UNIX or Windows client or you can use VOM or CLI to manage your cluster(s).

i.e soluton is to remove embedded java, not upgrade it.

I am not sure if VEA GUI uses java, so you MAY need to remove VRTSobgui if the system compains that VRTSobgui depends on VRTSjre/VRTSjre15 when you try to remove it.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Best method is to use swlist, but you can also use "haclus -version" or "hasys -display -attribute EngineVersion", but swlist is more reliable.

To update, download patches from https://sort.symantec.com/patch/matrix and follow README or install pdf.

Mike

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

/opt/VRTSvcs/bin/had -version will also give you version details

Are you upgrading an independent Java or Symantec supplied ?

G

harshman1958
Level 3

wanting to try to upgrade the embedded java, it is not at a version that is acceptable for vulnerability reasons.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As I understand, the embedded java is only used by the VCS Java Console.  The VCS java console and hence also VRTSjre/VRTSjre15 packages have not been shipped with the product since 5.1.  

If you have VRTSjre or VRTSjre15 installed, then if you remove VRTScscm (VCS Java console) and VRTScscim (VCS Simulator) if either of these are installed, then you should be able to remove the VRTSjre/VRTSjre15 package.  You do not need to run the java GUI on the cluster nodes - you can run it from any Linux/UNIX or Windows client or you can use VOM or CLI to manage your cluster(s).

i.e soluton is to remove embedded java, not upgrade it.

I am not sure if VEA GUI uses java, so you MAY need to remove VRTSobgui if the system compains that VRTSobgui depends on VRTSjre/VRTSjre15 when you try to remove it.

Mike

harshman1958
Level 3

1) i don't have this file ( /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/had).  The only thing i have under /opt/VRTSvcs is something called "vxfen".   I don't find a "had" anywhere under /opt.  I know the version of java is 1.5.0.5, so I asumme the version of VCM is that also?

2)  removing the embedded java would be fine.  This is all about removing vulnerabilites.  however, i do not fing anything called VRTScscm or VRTScscim under any of the VRTS..  directories.   I do have the java under /VRTSjre/jre1.5/bin.

mikebounds
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As in previous post, try removing the VRTSjre or VRTSjre15 package.

If this doesn't work, the post output of swlist listing of VRTS packages (can't remember exact syntax, probably something like "swlist -l | grep VRTS"

Mike