cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? configuring DB2 agent on VCS

slonkoski
Level 2

I'm tring to configure DB2 using Veritas™ Cluster Server Agent for DB2 Installation and Configuration Guide for Linux 5.0 Maintenance Pack 3

On Pg 25 it says:
Install the database instances on the shared storage only on the one node where
the instance’s home directory is currently mounted.

Then on Pg 26 it says:
On each system, create a file named $DB2InstHome/.rhosts, and place a "+"
character within it.

what am I missing?, if I create the instance on only the 1 active node, the other node doesn't have the same $DB2InstHome since it's on shared storage and only available to 1 server at a time.

Do I need to create a seperate home/dir on each node and put the db2 inst id there?

5 REPLIES 5

neilECM
Level 3

I will be installing db2 for use with Veritas Cluster Server Agent.

Did you get this figured out? Was the end result that the database instance directories should reside on shared storage?

slonkoski
Level 2
Yes, I ended up creating the instance owner id on each node, then moved the home dir to the shared storage and during db2 install pointed there.  Works fine.  the db2 binaries live on each physical node, just the instance lives on shared.  Good luck!

M__Braun
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

I received the following info from our VCS DB2 Agent Engineering.

Regards

Manuel

slonkoski:

On Pg 25 it says:
Install the database instances on the shared storage only on the one node where the instance's home directory is currently mounted.

<SYMC> The later versions of DB2 version 8 and above) seems to save some metadata on the local system where the database instance is installed. So if the instance is installed on the shared disk on sys A, some metatdata is also saved on sys A local  Sys B will not save this metadata so user may still need to re-install the same database instance on the second node just to let DB2 to save this metatdata on the second node as well. Otherwise DB2 doesn't seem to know that the instance is already installed on the shared disk on sys B.

Do I need to create a seperate home/dir on each node and put the db2 inst id there?

<SYMC> Yes. DB2 requires that you need to be able to rsh from one system to another using the instance login WITHOUT prompting for the password.

neilECM:

Did you get this figured out? Was the end result that the database instance directories should reside on shared storage?

<SYMC> The instance home directory which is the mount point for the shared storage should be on the local system.

neilECM
Level 3

@M. Braun wrote:

Hi,

I received the following info from our VCS DB2 Agent Engineering.

Regards

Manuel

slonkoski:

On Pg 25 it says:
Install the database instances on the shared storage only on the one node where the instance's home directory is currently mounted.

<SYMC> The later versions of DB2 version 8 and above) seems to save some metadata on the local system where the database instance is installed. So if the instance is installed on the shared disk on sys A, some metatdata is also saved on sys A local  Sys B will not save this metadata so user may still need to re-install the same database instance on the second node just to let DB2 to save this metatdata on the second node as well. Otherwise DB2 doesn't seem to know that the instance is already installed on the shared disk on sys B.

Thank you for the feedback.
If I understand this correctly, the order of operations will be:
    install db2 binaries on sys A
    during install of db2 binaries on sys A, create the instance on shared disk
    drop the instance
    install db2 binaries on sys B
    during install of db2 binaries on sys B, create the instance on shared disk

Now sys A and sys B will each have the metadata as discussed?

<SYMC> Yes. DB2 requires that you need to be able to rsh from one system to another using the instance login WITHOUT prompting for the password.

neilECM:

<SYMC> The instance home directory which is the mount point for the shared storage should be on the local system.

If we must have a separate home dir (/home/db2inst1) on each node, and /home/db2inst1 is shared storage how is this possible? Or do you mean /home/db2inst1 just must be mounted locally to each machine?

M__Braun
Level 5
Employee
Hi,

here is the additional feedback from Engineering (marked blue).

Regards

Manuel

If I understand this correctly, the order of operations will be:
    install db2 binaries on sys A
    during install of db2 binaries on sys A, create the instance on shared disk
    drop the instance   // Don't drop the instance
    install db2 binaries on sys B
    during install of db2 binaries on sys B, create the instance on shared disk

You want DB2 knows that the instance is installed on both sys A and sys B even the same instance is copied to the same location twice. Otherwise DB2 won't recognize the same instance is already created on the shared disk.

If we must have a separate home dir (/home/db2inst1) on each node, and /home/db2inst1 is shared storage how is this possible? Or do you mean /home/db2inst1 just must be mounted locally to each machine?

Yes, the home directory is just a mount point which you will mount the shared disk to this mount point locally to each machine.