cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

initing status of remote cluster

rawfish
Level 2
Hi, my installation is two windows 2003 sp2 r2 system with Veritas Storage Foundation HA on each. I make primary and secondary clusters and just add on the primary cluster the secondary as the remote cluster by a wizard tool (add/delete remote cluster). After completion i see on both primary and secondary sites for remote site status: "initing", "icmp:unknown", "Not running". What`s wrong? I can ping both virtual IP from one to another.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Which version of SFW/HA?
The fact that you are referring to 'Remote Cluster' sounds to me as if you are trying to configure a Global Cluster:
We need to understand if you need to configure a Local or Global Cluster.

(extract from VCS installation guide): A global cluster consists of two or more local clusters linked together. Global clusters provide the ability to fail over applications between geographically distributed clusters when disaster occurs.
Global clusters may be configured either through the Disaster Recovery Configuration Wizard available from the Solutions Configuration Center or through the Global Group Configuration Wizard. Both processes require a wide area connector resource for inter-cluster communication. This resource is configured using the VCS Configuration Wizard.
The Global Group Configuration Wizard and VCS Cluster Configuration Wizard (VCW) are described in the Veritas Cluster Server Administrator’s Guide.

A local cluster is where you configure failover between 2 or more nodes that are connected to shared storage, local network, cluster interconnects (heartbeats).

If we know which version of SFW/HA, we can provide links to the correct product installation and admin guides.
You can also find documentation here:
https://vos.symantec.com/documents

I think we should also move this post to the Cluster Server Forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/storage-management/forums/cluster-server

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Which version of SFW/HA?
The fact that you are referring to 'Remote Cluster' sounds to me as if you are trying to configure a Global Cluster:
We need to understand if you need to configure a Local or Global Cluster.

(extract from VCS installation guide): A global cluster consists of two or more local clusters linked together. Global clusters provide the ability to fail over applications between geographically distributed clusters when disaster occurs.
Global clusters may be configured either through the Disaster Recovery Configuration Wizard available from the Solutions Configuration Center or through the Global Group Configuration Wizard. Both processes require a wide area connector resource for inter-cluster communication. This resource is configured using the VCS Configuration Wizard.
The Global Group Configuration Wizard and VCS Cluster Configuration Wizard (VCW) are described in the Veritas Cluster Server Administrator’s Guide.

A local cluster is where you configure failover between 2 or more nodes that are connected to shared storage, local network, cluster interconnects (heartbeats).

If we know which version of SFW/HA, we can provide links to the correct product installation and admin guides.
You can also find documentation here:
https://vos.symantec.com/documents

I think we should also move this post to the Cluster Server Forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/storage-management/forums/cluster-server

rawfish
Level 2
Thanks for reply, i use SFW/HA version 5.1 SP1 for high availability and failover for Cisco works LMS in Global Cluster configuration.

Marianne
Level 6
Apologies for the basic questions...
Have you confirmed that all pre-reqs for a global cluster are in place?

P. 585 of VCS Admin Guide:
You must have at least two clusters to set up a global cluster. Every cluster must have the required licenses. A cluster can be part of one global cluster. VCS supports a maximum of four clusters participating in a global cluster.
Clusters must be running on the same platform; the operating system versions can be different. Clusters must be using the same VCS version.
Cluster names must be unique within each global cluster; system and resource names need not be unique across clusters. Service group names need not be unique across clusters; however, global service groups must have identical names.
Every cluster must have a valid virtual IP address, which is tied to the cluster. Define this IP address in the cluster’s ClusterAddress attribute. This address is normally configured as part of the initial VCS installation. The IP address must
have a DNS entry.
For remote cluster operations, you must configure a VCS user with the same name and privileges in each cluster.
See “User privileges in global clusters” on page66.

rawfish
Level 2
ok, i rechecked all the reqs and i didn`t  find any errors, but i saw new thing in the Cluster Manager: when i point to local system - i see this: 

Adaptor 0 and 1 down. Maybe this is the reason?