cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLO 7 - Restrict specific account from backing up on a computer?

Gregg_J
Level 3

Right now, I have DLO deployed to a little under 100 computers on my work network. We have a little over 100 users who log into these computers (some people share computers, some people have multiple ones).

Normally, it's not really much of an issue, but I was wondering if there was a way to stop a specific user account from having a backup on a specific computer, with allowing them to have their backup on another computer. Occasionally we have users logging in to other computers, just to get access to our network when their computer isn't conveniently nearby. They don't have anything on it that needs saved or backed up, but with the way we have our computers set up, there is the possibility of them duplicating someone else's backup data.

Also, a similar issue, we have an administrative account setup on all computers on our network. I have the account disabled in the DLO console, yet every time we install to a new computer, the administrative account tries to do a backup. I don't understand why it's doing this. Can someone help with either issue?

4 REPLIES 4

SSwami
Level 4
Employee

Gregg_J
Level 3

That's a start, but the path itself is from an old version of DLO. I've checked a few computers I have the client installed on, and the registry entry it wants me to modify isn't where it says it is. There is a similar one under HKey_Current_User, but I don't know if modifying that will work the same.

SSwami
Level 4
Employee

Gregg,

For Symantec DLO 7.0, the registry keys to be created are under:

for a 64 bit machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Symantec\Symantec DLO\Client\

for a 32 bit machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Symantec DLO\Client

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Gregg,

There is no way that you can stop configuring the backup of a user on all the systems that it log on. To disable the backup you can disable the the computer configured against the User in "Computers" tab. This is other side of DLO where we have to work on to remove this unwanted junk.

Regrading your second query, ideally the DLO agent should be disabled for the admin account when it logs on to any computer. Can you check the "Computers" tab again if any computer against this user is enabled?