cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DLO protect against Ransomware

kylehor
Level 2

I'm on DLO 7.5 SP1.   Ya, it's kind of outdated.  But would like to know if it is safe against ransomware attack.  I.e. if the laptop is hit, will the DLO backup get encrypted as well?  Or I can rely on the backup to restore to a fresh laptop.

I'm prepared to pay for the newer version, but will only do so if I am assured of this protection.   Anyone familiar with this.  Your feedback is much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

Shiju_Chacko
Level 4

Hi,

Read this article against ransomware. It will help you. Suggest you to dont Use Windows XP in your environment unless and until it has completed patch updated.

https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/what-you-need-know-about-wannacry-ransomware

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/mmpc/shared/ransomware.aspx

Thanks & Regards,
Shiju Chacko

Thanks I'm familiar with Ransomwares but have been told recently that my DLO backups is susceptible to being encrypted as well.  My DLO is my last line of defense as I do not make another copy of it on type or on another media.  And we are on Windows 7 in process of migrating to Windows 10.  Hence all these questions about DLO upgrade.

Sandeep_G
Level 2

When an organization is trying to protect itself from the impact of a ransomware attack, the below two activities become critical from a data protection perspective:

·         How to define the endpoint backup policy and configure the backup selection to revive from a Ransomware attack

·         How can the organization restore the backed up data in case of a ransomware attack

For this, DLO offers the below capabilities today.

How to define the endpoint backup policy and configure the backup selection to revive from a Ransomware attack:

o   DLO  allows policies to be defined at a profile level for a centralized management of the endpoints in the organization.

o   It also provides a customizable backup selection which can be leveraged by the organizations to tailor fit the endpoint backup policy for a ransomware specific scenario.

§  Multiple revisions of the backed up file can be kept to ensure that there are enough versions to rely on in case of an attack

How can the organization restores the backed up data in case of a Ransomware attack:

o   In addition to allowing restores from the administrator side, DLO also allows self-restore capabilities so that users no longer need to be dependent on the It help desk for restoring their backed up data.

o   DLO uses AES 256 encryption for data during the transit and at rest.

o   Folder permissions for the user folders at the Storage location, ensure that users have access to only their respective backed up data and not that of others.