Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dmp: paths won't failover

yoyohimhim
Level 3

Hi,
    Veritas 5.1. 
     I installed Storage Foundation 5.1 on SAN Boot SLES11 and then encapsulated the root Disk by vxdiskadm so that dmp can be used by sda (OS LUN).
     After that, I installed and configured SFCFSHA.  Switch port block case needs to be run for my project. Expected result: Paths can be failover and everything should work normally. 
     NowI encountered a problem.  When I disable one switch port, "vxdisk path" shows that half paths are all disabled. System log can recongized that "VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-112 disabled path 65/0xc0 belonging to the dmpnode 201/0x0 due to path failure".  But no path failover information like "VxVM vxdmp V-5-0-0 failover initiated for 201/0x10" appeared. So after switch port block sometimes, my OS always become Read-only.
     Can anyone help me to solve the problem? Thank you very much for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

yoyohimhim
Level 3
Another question. I found when port was enabled, the dmp can't recognize the path back, using "vxdisk path", the half path status were still disabled unless I scan them manually(vxdisk scandisks). Thanks if you can help me.

yoyohimhim
Level 3
     I run switch_port_block case and scan paths manually after enabling port, everything is ok, "Read only" problem won't appeared. So I guess it may because paths are not failback. Can anyone help me about that?

Gaurav_S
   VIP    Certified

Hello,

Interesting issue...

a) What SAN you have ?

can you paste

# vxdmpadm listenclosure all
# vxdmpadm listctlr all
# vxdmpadm stat restored
# vxdmpadm getattr enlosure <enclosure_name> iopolicy

I am wondering if SAN boot supports multipathing, did you verified with release notes ?

Gaurav

yoyohimhim
Level 3
Hi Gaurav,
    Yes, san boot supports multipathing. I have another test eviroment witch is SLES10(San Boot) and Veritas, everything works fine. 
    I assigned the SAN Boot LUN from IBM SVC.
OS configuration steps:
1. SAN Boot install SLES11.
2..vxdiskadm->2 to encapsulate sda.
3. reboot server
4. Check grub menu.lst and /etc/fstab
I attached the grub menu.lst and /etc/fstab information.  The system is booted from:
#vxvm_root_START ( do not remove)
title vxvm_root
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.19-5-default root=/dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/rootvol  vncpasswd=open1sys resume=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-360050768018d829b100000000000018f-part5 splash=silent showopts vga=0x31a
        initrd /VxVM_initrd.img
#vxvm_root_END ( do not remove)
    I past my configuration here.  (Now just sda is left in the test enviroment.)
arcx3455gbxv5:~ # vxdmpadm listenclosure all
ENCLR_NAME        ENCLR_TYPE     ENCLR_SNO      STATUS       ARRAY_TYPE     LUN_COUNT
=======================================================================================
san_vc0           SAN_VC         02006360a6c4XX00     CONNECTED    A/A-A-IBMSVC   1

arcx3455gbxv5:~ # vxdmpadm listctlr all
CTLR-NAME       ENCLR-TYPE      STATE      ENCLR-NAME
=====================================================
c2              SAN_VC          ENABLED      san_vc0
c3              SAN_VC          ENABLED      san_vc0

arcx3455gbxv5:~ # vxdmpadm stat restored
The number of daemons running : 1
The interval of daemon: 300
The policy of daemon: check_disabled
(Note: I tried to change the configuration from "check_disabled" to "check_all", the problem still isn't solved.)

arcx3455gbxv5:~ # vxdmpadm getattr enclosure san_vc0 iopolicy
ENCLR_NAME     DEFAULT        CURRENT
============================================
san_vc0        MinimumQ       MinimumQ

Thanks for your help Gaurav.