cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Data Protection Regulation

JRead
Level 2

How many of you have heard about the “General Data Protection Regulation” that is due in 2017?

Part of this legislation concerns how businesses should be prepared to fulfil the "right to be forgotten", "right to erasure" and the "right to data portability".

So, how does a system like EV which is designed to always remember, adapt to a requirement to "always remember until people are able to ask for data about them to be deleted”. Businesses will have to comply with such a request and prove that they have removed the data, unless there are legitimate grounds to retain the data.

Failure to comply with a request could cost a business a minimum of €250,000 up to €1,000,000 or 2% of global turnover.

If data cannot be deleted from EV, does that mean this technology is redundant post 2017 because it becomes more of a hindrance than a help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

ok so what i posted before was about Enterprise Vault, not EV.cloud.

just curious but are you saying you archive your customer's personal emails to EV.cloud? otherwise, the corporate policies i've seen dictate that all electronic communications using their systems are not the personal property of the employee but are business records and governed by the corporate information management policy.

i'm happy to do some research on the topic for you however, from what i know about the legislation, it doesn't pertain to private business and proprietary information and business records kept for legal purposes which is what email journaling (aka how EV.cloud works) essentially is. from what's been going on in some european countries, the concern is more about your personal info showing up on a google search.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AndrewB

regardless of the legislation, i think your assumption that data cannot be deleted from EV isnt entirely accurate. if a company faces fines of 1MM Euro or the challenge of deleting data from EV, i assure you we will have no problem making it happen for our clients. it might require a 3rd party tool to "reclassify" the archived items but it's possible.

AndrewB

did you need anything further?

JRead
Level 2

Thanks for the reply Andy.

As it stands there is no way to delete data from EV.

What I would like from Symantec is a full disclosure of what this legislation means for users of their Enterprise Vault solution (and no doubt the onsite systems) and how they will address the issues, if indeed they plan to?

I don't mean to sound harsh to you here Andy as i am genuinely pleased i got a reply, however I think your comment is a too vague and actual solutions need to be made by Symantec.

AndrewB

can you clarify something briefly? you are asking about EV but you posted in the EV.cloud forum. before i elaborate on the topic for you just want to make sure we're talking about the same product.

JRead
Level 2

Hi Andy

Yes I am referring to EV.cloud, sorry about the confusion.

Jonathan

AndrewB

ok so what i posted before was about Enterprise Vault, not EV.cloud.

just curious but are you saying you archive your customer's personal emails to EV.cloud? otherwise, the corporate policies i've seen dictate that all electronic communications using their systems are not the personal property of the employee but are business records and governed by the corporate information management policy.

i'm happy to do some research on the topic for you however, from what i know about the legislation, it doesn't pertain to private business and proprietary information and business records kept for legal purposes which is what email journaling (aka how EV.cloud works) essentially is. from what's been going on in some european countries, the concern is more about your personal info showing up on a google search.