2 Enterpsie Vault Servers, setting up sharing correctly

Buck_Rogers
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

I have the following setup task:

- 1 virtual server for mailbox archiving

- 1 virtual server for journal archiving

- each server has its own volumes (vmdk)

- one vault store group

- two Vault stores (mailbox/journal)

We want to achieve single instancing at the vault store group level. As I understand, this should work, even over two different Vault servers with individual volumes, am I right?

I was wondering, where the savesets will be stored finally, randomly distributed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

VSG = fingerprint (sharing) database. 2 VS in VSG, share per Vault Store Group. The VS's will use the same VSG for the sharing. That will work with different servers yes.

As for the savesets, it depends which item gets archived first. Normally speaking, what will happen is the following: an item gets archived, and the fingerprint for the item is created. The FP is checked. If it already exists, the item in the database gets a reference to the original item having the same FP. If it does not exist, them item is written to the storage, and the FP is stored in the database. As you do journal archving and mbx archiving, it is my suspicion that the journal items will get written on storage (as that jnl archiving is a continuous proces), and the mailbox archivnig will get a lot of 'fingerprinted' items. this might mean your storage on the Journal archiving server will fill up more rapidly than the storage on the mbx ev server.

You do have to take in account that if you run storage expiry, items are expired in the database, but the physical file will remain on disk as long as it has counters. In other words, if your Journal retention is 10 years, and your mailbox retention is 2 years, items will stay on disk for 10 years, even if they are expired from the mabox archive. Or, the other way around, mailbox archive is 10 years, and journal is 2 years, items will be not searchable in the journal archicve after 2 years, bt will remain on disk to accomodate the 10 year mailbox retention. You therefor might expect a decrease in storage on the Journal EV server, but you will not see that happening (as most of the items still have a FP in the Mailbox store.

I personally would go for 'share per store', as that will better seperate the journal and mailbox data. You might want to discuss with a partner to be sure.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

VSG = fingerprint (sharing) database. 2 VS in VSG, share per Vault Store Group. The VS's will use the same VSG for the sharing. That will work with different servers yes.

As for the savesets, it depends which item gets archived first. Normally speaking, what will happen is the following: an item gets archived, and the fingerprint for the item is created. The FP is checked. If it already exists, the item in the database gets a reference to the original item having the same FP. If it does not exist, them item is written to the storage, and the FP is stored in the database. As you do journal archving and mbx archiving, it is my suspicion that the journal items will get written on storage (as that jnl archiving is a continuous proces), and the mailbox archivnig will get a lot of 'fingerprinted' items. this might mean your storage on the Journal archiving server will fill up more rapidly than the storage on the mbx ev server.

You do have to take in account that if you run storage expiry, items are expired in the database, but the physical file will remain on disk as long as it has counters. In other words, if your Journal retention is 10 years, and your mailbox retention is 2 years, items will stay on disk for 10 years, even if they are expired from the mabox archive. Or, the other way around, mailbox archive is 10 years, and journal is 2 years, items will be not searchable in the journal archicve after 2 years, bt will remain on disk to accomodate the 10 year mailbox retention. You therefor might expect a decrease in storage on the Journal EV server, but you will not see that happening (as most of the items still have a FP in the Mailbox store.

I personally would go for 'share per store', as that will better seperate the journal and mailbox data. You might want to discuss with a partner to be sure.

Regards. Gertjan

Buck_Rogers
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Gertjan,

thank's a lot for the details. I was guessing, that the files will be stored with the journal volume first, sounds logical.

For my purpose a common share would be more suitable maybe (more transparent), but I will discuss the sharing level with the customer first.

Considering storage costs, group share would be very attractive.