cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARCHDVS files

Donnal_Spence
Level 4

I know that collections will delete the archdvs file however I am wondering if they can be manually deleted. I have a drive that is very low on space and collections had to be stopped so the archdvs files are not being removed. Can I simply search and delete the archdvs files without causing any issues? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Donnal,

The ARCHDVS* files are created when EV extracts a DVS from a collection. You can force the deletion running collections in the partitions. If running colletions doesn't delete these files, then you might need to open a case with support for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Donnal_Spence
Level 4

I am running EV 10.0.3 on Windows 2008 R2 btw..

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Donnal,

The ARCHDVS* files are created when EV extracts a DVS from a collection. You can force the deletion running collections in the partitions. If running colletions doesn't delete these files, then you might need to open a case with support for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Donnal_Spence
Level 4

I noticed that when I run the collection process that I am losing diskspace instead of gaining it. I have had to stop the collections for any partition on this drive since it is nearing the 99% mark. If I run collections on any other partition in my environment, i can see the space being reclaimed. 

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You might be seeing sparse collections in action.
It extracts a CAB file, deletes the CAB and any items that should no longer exist in EV and then recollects them in to another CAB file

Also there can be other processes such as user retrievals, archive exports etc that cause the files to be extracted.

Anywho, after 3 days of not being accessed, EV will delete the ARCH files, but you can delete them any time you want, if a request is put through for the item, it will simply extract the item back out

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

You could also use the No Monitor thing so EV doesnt shut down when it gets low on disk space, depends on how low it actually is as to if this is a good idea.

Details here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48953

Donnal_Spence
Level 4

I contacted support and they confirmed it is ok to manually delete the .archdvs files. Since i have over 1 million archdvs files they provided me with del *.archdvs* /s to be run at the root of each partition folder. 

Thanks GabeV...