cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive Explorer Hangs

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I have a user whose Archive Explorer hangs when he clicks on a folder. He is the only one having this issue.

His logs says:

10/05/2012 12:24:48.741: Log file created (level 0).

10/05/2012 12:24:48.742: A COM error occurred: 0x80040205

10/05/2012 12:34:31.452: A COM error occurred: 0x80040205

10/05/2012 12:34:34.958: A COM error occurred: 0x80040205

I asked him if he sees any authentication prompt (which some other posts suggests) and he said no. He rebooted his machine and still has this issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

I really suggest you open a support case here so that 1. we can identify why you may be getting this issue, 2. if its something new it can be addressed in the future. Whilst exporting/importing the archive may well resolve the issue for you it does nothing to identify root cause and if another user in your Org starts to have the same problem you will likely have to repeat the procedure.

The 0x80040205 error is generally indicative of being unable to find an item in the user's cache. Can you confirm whether the user can use Archive Explorer through Inernet Explorer by opening the URL directly and whether that enables them to access/retrieve an item (make sure to clean up their history / temp files etc. as well in IE before the test). The posts above dont really seem to confirm whether this this has been undertaken satisfactorily as your posts have conflicting information insomuch as that the user is unable to open AE, yet when opening from Outlook it launches AE in a new window (presumably a browser window) or is it still integrated within Outlook so just need confirmation here. If using IE succeeds then in all likelihood the issue is restricted to the Outlook client. If that fails as well then you need to investigate further and will need to obtain some dtrace and re-review of the SQL entries potentially as well.

Has the user been enabled to use Vault Cache/Virtual Vault and if so can they access the items through that method?

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Ameen
Level 6

Is that user able to open archived items from that particuler folder from Outlook [not from AE]?

Ask user to login on another system and confirm that this is happening on other system as well. You can ask user to login to other system and directly open the AE and check.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

The user can not open AE from another machine, but can access emails from the Inbox.

AWMorris
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Is AE being opened within Outlook or a separate web browser?  If within Outlook, try and open from a separate browser.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Nope, it opens a new window.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Anyone have any ideas why it hangs or how I can fix it?

Chris_Alleman
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Is he able to see his expected folder structure in AE? IE, are there any missing folders that we would expect to see?

Since it follows him, I would think that it is possibly something corrupt in his ArchiveFolderView in SQL.

Run through this TN (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52763) which will let you see if there are any folders that have NULL as a ParentFolderRootIdentity - other than Top of Information Store of course.

If you do see some folders with the NULL, that would explain it.  Support has some tools to help resolve that, but the easiest way to resolve it is to move an item to that folder(s) and archive it from there.  THat will force SQL to rebuild the entries.

You may also find it just as quick as to export the archive to PST, delete it, create a new one and import the PST back. (this might fix the issue even if SQL looks ok)

anon1m0us1
Level 6

I checked out the ArchiveFolderView as described in te link. His top is set to Null as it should be.

You mentioned that I should Export his Archive to a PST and then delete the archive. I was told never to do that since it will delete exchange items. I was told to ZAP him, which I did two weeks ago.

Should I delete him? If yes, can you please provide some documentation I can follow so I do not screw up the IT manager's mailbox:)

AWMorris
Level 4

Hi.  Exporting the archive to a PST will not touch any items that haven't been archived, IE - in the mailbox on the Exchange server.  How many items are in his archive?

Chris_Alleman
Level 4

Unfortunately, I can't find a good TechNote that describes the entire process of exporting to PST/deleting and recreating the archive/importing back from PST.

If you do not have any experience with the process, I would recommend opening a case with support for them to help you through it.  Just mention what you've done so far and that the issue follows the user from machine to machine.

If I can dig up something, I will post it here as soon as I do.

Ameen
Level 6

If you choose to go with delete and recreate the Vault then below steps may help you,

Use the Export utility to export the items from the archive to PST
==================================================================
a. In the VAC expand the <Site container>.
b. Right click on the <Archives> container and click <Export>.
c. In the Export Archive Wizard select <Export a single archive to a chosen mailbox> and click <Next>.
d. Select <List all available archives> and click <Next>.
e. From the list select the archive that is to be moved and click <Next>
f.  Select <List all available mailboxes> and click <Next>
g. Select the user created in step 1 and click <Next>
h. Select <Export all items> and click <Next> twice.
i.  Once the Export finished, click <Next> then <Finish>

Disable the user via the Vault Administration Console (VAC) by using the Disable Mailbox Wizard.
===============================================================================================
a. Open the VAC and click on Tools then click on Disable Mailboxes.
b. In the Disable Mailbox Wizard select the Exchange server where the user account is located from the drop down list then click Next.
c. Select List all available mailboxes and click Next.
d. Select the mailbox from the list then click Next.
e. Click Finish.

Delete the old Archive in Enterprise Vault Administration Console (VAC)
=======================================================================
a. In the VAC, expand <Archives> then select <Exchange Mailbox>
b. Right click on the old archive on the right side and select <Delete>
c. Click <Yes> to confirm the deletion of the archive.
d. The Archive status will say "Marked for deletion

Launch the Enable Mailbox wizard to enable the mailbox that was disabled in Step 2.
===================================================================================
a. Open the VAC and click on Tools then click on Enable Mailboxes.
b. In the Enable Mailbox Wizard select the Exchange server where the user account is located from the drop down list then click Next.
c. Select List all available mailboxes and click Next.
d. Select Show Disabled mailboxes only and choose the mailbox from the list.
e. Click on Deselect Archive, then click Next.
f.  Click on Change then click on Change beside the Vault Store and select the new vault store and click Next.
g. Choose the appropriate settings on the remaining dialog boxes and complete the wizard by clicking Finish.

Run the PST Import Wizard to migrate the exported data into the new archive on the new Vault Store.
==================================================================================================
a. In the VAC expand the Site container.
b. Right click on the Archives container and click on Import.
c. In the Import Archive Wizard select the destination Vault Store and click Next.
d. Click Add to browse for the PST file that was created in Step 2 and click Next.
e. Choose the Select an archive for each PST radio button and click Next.
f.  Select the appropriate Retention Category and click Next.
g. Select the Destination archive and Associated Mailbox for the user and click Next.
h. Select the appropriate Retention Category and click Next.
i. On the shortcut option window choose the No radio button to avoid duplicate shortcuts and click Next.
j. On the folder structure window select the root folder and Merged options and click Next.
k. Leave the default settings on the remaining boxes and click Close to complete the wizard

Ameen
Level 6

I recoment you to test the above steps a test account before performing the same into your IT Manager's mailbox :)

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Just as an FYI and wondering if this would make a difference, he sees all his folders, but when he clicks on a folder, it hangs and no messages (email) appears.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

What's the side effects? He is a test user so as long as his Exchange Mailbox is fine, there are no concerns. He does not care if he has to rearchive or something.

Chris_Warren
Level 5

Seems to me that pulling the Treeview.xml, which is the folder structure from ArchiveFolderView, is fine from what you say.  Once the structure is there, when you select a folder, it is performing a filtered search on the index. 

Have you tested to make sure they can search their archives using search.asp?

Hope this helps.

anon1m0us1
Level 6

Yes, Search.asp works.

The question remains, should I delete his archive??

AWMorris
Level 4

If you have exhausted all avenues and you have succesfully exported the archive to PST, there isn't any reason why you can't delete the archive.  I asked a question earlier in the thread and never got an answer.  How large is his archive?  Also, what version is this?

anon1m0us1
Level 6

This is Versiopn 10.0.1

Where do I find the limit? I looked at the archive but the archive size is not available.

I tested this issue on both of the user's machine and they both had the issue. I tested him with a 3rd person's machine and it worked fine. I am assuming now it is the plugin is the issue.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What you can try is the following:

Disable user for archiving.

Zap users mailbox

Enable user for archiving

sync mailbox

Try again

Regards. Gertjan

AWMorris
Level 4

The reason I was wanting to know how many items have been archived is to determine if exporting the archive, deleting and creating a new archive would be feasible for a quick solution.  But as you have discovered, the issue doesn't appear to be on the back end.  Is the version of IE on the working machine different from that of the broken machines?