cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive Explorer (right Click)

JohnnyJungle
Level 2

Hello,

This is my first post, and I would guess not my last. Anyway, we are running EV 7 sp1 on Win2003 SP1. The problem we are having is users are unable to manage their archives. If they right click on a message the Copy To Mailbox, Move To Mailbox and Help are greyed – Delete is also greyed out, but that is because we do not allow users to delete from their Archive. I was on an EV Admin 2 training course last week and the setup we were using allowed us the move archive emails and create folders within Archive Explorer. We looked everywhere to try and enable these options, but we couldn’t find anything. Has anyone had the same problem as this would be a great feature to have?

Regards

John

4 REPLIES 4

The_Genie
Level 4
A similar problem has been seen in the past and previous versions.  Try the following.

1. Open the mailbox policy that is relevant.  You may obviously have more than one. 
2. On the Advanced tab check under the Desktop policy that the setting 'Launch Archive Explorer' is set to "In Outlook".
3. Click 'OK' to close the Policy.
4. Run a synchronization of mailboxes.
5. Restart Outlook on the affected client machine.

If the above fails I would suggest contacting tech support for assistance. 

JohnnyJungle
Level 2
Thank you for the reply - I have checked these setting and "In Outlook" has already been set.

I have also been told that it could be to do with the webapp.ini - here is a copy of our file.

ISDeleteButton = 0
ISRestoreButton  = 0
ISShowRetention = 0

ArchiveExplorerDelete = 0
ArchiveExplorerHelp = 1
ArchiveExplorerRestore = 0
ArchiveExplorerSearch = 1
ArchiveExplorerSettings = 1

ViewMessage_Search = 1
ViewMessage_ArchiveExplorer = 1
ViewMessage_Download = 0
ViewMessage_Restore = 0
ViewMessage_Delete = 0
ViewMessage_Settings = 0
ViewMessage_Help = 0

Im guessing we would just need to add something like -

ArchiveExplorerMove = 1
ArchiveExplorerCopy = 1

Can anyone confirm this for me please.

Regards

John

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
To see the copy option you need to set ArchiveExplorerRestore = 1
You will not be able to see the move to mailbox option unless you have the deletions enabled at the site level.
When you copy or move items with the "move" and "copy" options available in Archive Explorer you are not moving or copying archived items between folders in AE as this is not possible - what you are in fact doing is restoring the original item and removing it from the archive if you are using the MOVE option (this is why you need to enable deletions at site level because move essentialy equals delete - you are in fact moving the archived item out of the archive and back into the mailbox as a restored non archived item to either its original location or a different mailbox folder) and if you use the COPY option you are also restoring the original item to its original location or different folder in outlook - the difference here is that with the copy option you do not need to enable deletions at site level and you are not removing the archived item from the archive - you are simply copying it , which restores the original item to your chosen location in the mailbox without deleting it from the archive.
Once you have moved or copied the items to their new location in the mailbox, they will be archived again once they are eligible - you can wait for scheduled archiving to do this or you can archive them manually. Their new location if you have moved/copied them within the mailbox will be reflected in Archive Explorer once they are archived again.
Lastly the webapp.ini settings are no longer supported...they may work sometimes and other times they may not work. I would suggest putting in an enhancement request to add them into the GUI in a future version :)

Message Edited by andra christie on 06-12-200705:39 AM

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Also you cannot right click and "create" folders in Archive Explorer -  the Archive Explorer is essentially a read-only interface (apart from the copy/move options etc). There is no way to create or remove a folder by right clicking in AE  since the folders don’t exist within the archive (archive explorer is the way you see a structured view like your mailbox folder structure, but the archive itself doesn't contain these folders).
If you create a folder in outlook and archive an item within, that folder will show up in Archive Explorer.

Message Edited by andra christie on 06-12-200705:50 AM

Message Edited by andra christie on 06-12-200705:54 AM