cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived message not retrieved when double clicked from specific workstation

Don_Koning
Level 4
Hi,

When a user tries to open an archived message from outlook the message opens with the blue 'This message has been archived' banner. When the user clicks the option Çlick here to open the original item' nothing happens.

When the user uses the search option to search the message in the archive he can open the complete message. When I open the users mailbox from the archive server I can also open the archives messages.

When the user opens IE en enter the vault URL it opens.

What could be the cause for not being able to open archived messages from this users workstation?

14 REPLIES 14

Sander_Meyer
Level 4
Try clearing the outlook form cache and maybe reinstall the EV user extensions.

Perform the following steps to clear the Outlook form cache:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab
2. Click Advanced Options
3. In the Advanced Options box, click Custom Forms 
4. In the Custom Forms box, click Manage Forms
5. In the Forms Manager box, click Clear Cache

Don_Koning
Level 4
Sander,

I cleared the cached, but unfortunately without results.

Robert_Guenther
Level 3
Don,

This is a guess, but normally when I have these type problems, I am having authenication issues with EV. Double check your trusted Zone settings in IE.  For good measure I put in the hostname, the vaultsite alias, as well as the server alias, all with and without the FQDN.  I now it is overkill most of the time, but its worth a shoot, then you can back out the ones you don't need. 

The other thing I would check is "view source" on the email and see if you can get the URL for the "original" item this relates to the above statement but is a more targetted approach.

Rob

Don_Koning
Level 4
Robert,

Isn't it so that searching the vault would also not work when something is wrong with the trusted zone settings?

Since I can search and open messages through the client extensions.

Maybe worth noting. We started archiving this mailbox before the client extensions were installed.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Don,

please confirm:

- user is opening his own shortcuts in his own mailbox
- you have the KVS buttons on the Outlook toolbar OK
- search and AE display "local intranet" in bottom right hand corner of IE

cheers,

Don_Koning
Level 4
Hi David,

To answer your questions:
- user is opening his own shortcuts in his own mailbox
Yes, I logged on with the user account

- you have the KVS buttons on the Outlook toolbar OK
Yes, I can search the archives and even open the message I can't open by clicking the placeholder

- search and AE display "local intranet" in bottom right hand corner of IE
IE has local intranet zones configured for the vaultserver and site like all other workstations that do work

Could there be an Outlook settings that prevends the message from retrieving?

Bobby
Level 4
Hi Don,

Could you ask this user to log on to another computer, open Outlook and see how it works their?

This problem seems to be very local.

Don_Koning
Level 4
Hi Bobby,

Indeed, when I open the mailbox from the archive server I can retrieve the messages without problems. So it seems local. But the problem applies to all workstations with the same comfiguration in this environment.

Bobby
Level 4
Hi Don,

Can you please check if there are any group-policies for this group of users? Are these users in the same location as you? Are there any firewalls in between? Are these users on the same subnet as yourself?

Don_Koning
Level 4
Yes there are GPO's configured for these workstations, but what setting could interfere with messages being retrieved through the Outlook client?

Bobby
Level 4
Hi Don,

Just for the test. Could you move one of those users to your group and then try to retrieve?

Thanks

Don_Koning
Level 4
I understand what you strategy is. But the thing is that there is a loopback policy on the OU, so I would need to take the terminalserver out of the OU. The only thing this will prove is that there is a setting that prevents the placeholders from being retrieved. A that point it's still unclear what setting is causing the problem.

Bobby
Level 4
Hi Don

Not sure of exactly which setting to look, but we could narrow it down to something else and not EV causing problems.

Don_Koning
Level 4
Found the solution with Symantec support. Turned out that outlvbs.dll is not automatically installed on terminalservers in application server mode (KB302003).

After copying the file to the terminalserver retrievals worked fine!

Thanks for all the help.