cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Processes Quit

snowmonger
Level 3

Hello, we have Symantec eVault 9.0 and everything works really well except it doesn't finish archiving for a scheduled time period. Here is what it does:

All mailbox taks are set to archive all mailboxes from 9am to 5pm daily. The number of concurrent connections is set to 10 and the max number of items per pass are at 5000. We have 2 polices, one for all mailboxes to archive everything up to 6 months and a terminated users policy (goes by the OU group the users are in) that is set to 0 days.

When archiving fires off at 9am everyday I can go to task manager and see my archiving processes working hard, then after a few minutes they just stop. If I restart the tasks, services or the server it starts archiving then quits just like at 9am. It IS archiving, each day the total amount archived does indeed go up but I know that its just stopping, I have a user who should be getting the 0 day policy but there are many, many emails in his sent items that are not archived and he has been gone for about 2 months. Others I have seen have many emails over 6 months that are not archived.

So, my question is, why does it appear that its making one pass through, archiving a little then stopping until it repeats this again the next day. My user who should be getting the 0 day policy should have every email in the mailbox archived regardless of time and after 2 months there still not. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
You need to put some gaps in that time range because the way that EV archiving works is that it first puts a process exchange server request in the A5 queue and this then expands out every enabled mailbox to archive on that exchange server It will then go through and archive as many items as it can up to the Messages per pass limit (in your case 5000) after each mailbox has been processed it will then requeue those mailboxes so that another archiving pass can be made, however if users don't have anymore items to archive then they will not be requeued to archive What you are most likely seeing is that it has gone through each of the mailboxes and completed it's passes within a couple of hours, once all mailboxes have completed their pass the archivig task will just wait until anpepcess exchange server is placed back there which would be the start of the schedule, so try doing 9-1:30 and then 2-5 and see if that helps As for the user not archiving, could be something as unread status, the policy hasn't taken, items message class is wrong etc, you should look at report modes and run nows against the user to see if they archive regularly
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
You need to put some gaps in that time range because the way that EV archiving works is that it first puts a process exchange server request in the A5 queue and this then expands out every enabled mailbox to archive on that exchange server It will then go through and archive as many items as it can up to the Messages per pass limit (in your case 5000) after each mailbox has been processed it will then requeue those mailboxes so that another archiving pass can be made, however if users don't have anymore items to archive then they will not be requeued to archive What you are most likely seeing is that it has gone through each of the mailboxes and completed it's passes within a couple of hours, once all mailboxes have completed their pass the archivig task will just wait until anpepcess exchange server is placed back there which would be the start of the schedule, so try doing 9-1:30 and then 2-5 and see if that helps As for the user not archiving, could be something as unread status, the policy hasn't taken, items message class is wrong etc, you should look at report modes and run nows against the user to see if they archive regularly

snowmonger
Level 3

Ok awesome! thank you. I will try re-schedule my tasks as you mentioned.

snowmonger
Level 3

yeah, I understand what its doing. Its only running for a few minutes then quits. I evwen uped it to 10,000 items per pass and nothing.....its done in 10 minutes. My 0 day mailbox has nothing in the sent items at all archived going back 4 years, all the settings in the policy are correct for both 0 day and 6 month.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Then what I would suggest is doing a Run Now against a known problem mailbox and DTrace the Archiving Task and each item that ist eligible it will warn you about So like I said, it could be Quota issues, message being unread, incorrect message class etc etc I would suspect it's either an evpm or policy issue though

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

By 'quit' do you mean the process crashes?  Is there anything in the application event log to indicate that the process crashed?  If not, then dtrace of the archive task will help.

Working for cloudficient.com

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Were you able to get any more information on this issue, snowmonger?

Working for cloudficient.com