cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8 Partition rollover best-practices

JBatCCC
Level 3
Partner

Partition rollover cannot be set to a specific EV partition size, but rather a specific amount of free space. A client has a 500GB disk partition (NetApp volume – using NetBackup) and recently ran into storage issues which led to me coming out to help configure Partition rollover.

Wanting to keep smaller partitions on this disk (due to backup window), I wanted to configure 5 100GB partitions, configured for automatic rollover. I could specify 80%, 60%, etc. (free disk space) and logically rollover in approximately 100GB intervals. Or, I could seat a different partition rollover based on free space (400GB, 300GB, etc.) However, the dialog suggests there should only be one “volume-based” policy per volume. I get that the LUN size could be expanded and negate this strategy…but I’m wondering if there’s anything else underneath that I should be aware of?

Or do we have to set a time interval as a “best-practice”? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It's a tricky one to answer.  We've had the debate internally several times about partition rollover, and thoughts about increasing the options.  No conclusions - but wanted to share with you that we do discuss it.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Aju
Not applicable

Hi JBatCCC,

I think if you go for the "Partition Roollover : Enabled based on volume" will be best because if you set he option "When volume reaches : 1 GB free" it will automatically "Close" this partition and will Open the another partition which is in "Ready" State.

If in above example you volume increase the size of your LUN and the free space will become available more than 1 GB then it will not rollover the partition but it will wait till 1 GB become free but this is manualy you check and increase the volume.

Suppose if you add new partition and keep in "Ready" state then whenever your volume reaches 1 GB free it will automatically Rollover on Newely created partition and manual interaction is not required.

Thanks.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It's a tricky one to answer.  We've had the debate internally several times about partition rollover, and thoughts about increasing the options.  No conclusions - but wanted to share with you that we do discuss it.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you need anything else on this JBatCCC?