cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Public Folders that have rules

gb_aoc
Level 2

I am trying to archive my public folders in Exchange 2010 but some of the folders have rules that auto repond to emails so when archiving is happening and the copies of items hit that that public folder with rules its spawns replies.  Is there a way to address this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Glad you got root cause to your issue. Most of your remaining questions are either slightly off the intiial topic, not EV related but Exchange related. . .or customized to the point that I personally would not know how to answer them without a lot more specifics.

As to if the creation of the pending item and potentially safety copies and the period of time they stay there.... this depends on your configuraiton. All EV Exchange archiving create some sort of pending item at some point, It is possible to create them only while EV is archicing the item and NOT await a backup to complete. If you are waiting for backups to complete. . .this is called safety coppies and how quick it clears would depend on a) a healthy and promptly archiving EV env b) a properly configured backup c) how frequently you perform a backup and either clear the Archive attribute OR place a new trigger file down saying the content has been backed up. Naturally this would depend on when your rule executes. . .but it sounds to me that you would not be able to get away with the the pending items NOT generating some rule triggered results (like in the case of Journaling) as there is persistantly processing going on. For other functions like public folder or mbx archiving, you could have the triggers fire off lke an hour after a backup and assuming all is healthy it should clear pending prior to encountering the rule. If the rule needs to be run consistantly. . .well then that is a differnt story.

I am unfamiliar with your speacilized journaling requirements. It is possible to configure EV to do selective Journaling and not archive contnet for specific users. I would suggest posting the Exchange questions to an Exchange forum and if you need assistance with this non-standard configuration . . .hit up one of the EV partners available to you (shameless plug) like Globanet.

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Maverik
Level 6

Have you got some more detail on how your rules are configured exactly?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Could you opt to not create shortcuts to the archived items?  Is it THAT which is causing the auto-responder to trigger?

Working for cloudficient.com

gb_aoc
Level 2

We are not placing shortcuts in mailboxes at the moment the issue was tha backup of the vault store ran longer than normal and when the vault store was created i did not change safety copies to be deleted after the archive but it was set to remove them after the backup which placed new items in the mailbox which in turn spawned emails for the folder with the rules.

I have since made the changes to the vault store properties but this did raise concerns from management I know that the archiving process makes copies of items within the mailbox while its working but will they stay there long enough to set off the rules?

One more thing if we change the way we journal instead of journal at the DB we journal with a transport rule can i capture public folder items this way?  I would also need to exclude some users from being journaled how can i do this when using a transport rule?

Prone2Typos

Glad you got root cause to your issue. Most of your remaining questions are either slightly off the intiial topic, not EV related but Exchange related. . .or customized to the point that I personally would not know how to answer them without a lot more specifics.

As to if the creation of the pending item and potentially safety copies and the period of time they stay there.... this depends on your configuraiton. All EV Exchange archiving create some sort of pending item at some point, It is possible to create them only while EV is archicing the item and NOT await a backup to complete. If you are waiting for backups to complete. . .this is called safety coppies and how quick it clears would depend on a) a healthy and promptly archiving EV env b) a properly configured backup c) how frequently you perform a backup and either clear the Archive attribute OR place a new trigger file down saying the content has been backed up. Naturally this would depend on when your rule executes. . .but it sounds to me that you would not be able to get away with the the pending items NOT generating some rule triggered results (like in the case of Journaling) as there is persistantly processing going on. For other functions like public folder or mbx archiving, you could have the triggers fire off lke an hour after a backup and assuming all is healthy it should clear pending prior to encountering the rule. If the rule needs to be run consistantly. . .well then that is a differnt story.

I am unfamiliar with your speacilized journaling requirements. It is possible to configure EV to do selective Journaling and not archive contnet for specific users. I would suggest posting the Exchange questions to an Exchange forum and if you need assistance with this non-standard configuration . . .hit up one of the EV partners available to you (shameless plug) like Globanet.

I hope this helps

Prone2Typos

Can you flag your posting where you identified a solution as resolved if this is resolved. It prevents people seeking to help others from hitting postings which are already resolved.

If this is not resolved can you please let us know how we can futher assist you so that it may be resolved.

Many thanks in advanced.