cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Question.

dchinon
Level 3

Hi,

We have implemented EV8, and we did not enable SiS yet.
Before I want to do that I need to know what EV is doing if the following occurs (with Single Instance Storage disabled):
I sent a mail to 10 people with an attachment of 10MB.
EV will archive the email because I have set the policy to archive everthing larger then 2MB.

I need to know EV will archive the mail 10 times, hence my vault store will grow with 100MB.
Or will EV archive the mail 10 times and the attachment only once?

Hopefully I can get an answer here, because it seems nobody can give me a straight answer.

Thanks in advance,
Darrell.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

...to clarify a bit...  In your current configuration the email and attachement would be archived once per user.  When you enable OSIS the attachment would be archived once with pointers to all the virtual copies and the other message parts would be archived depending on their relative size (the doc you were provided explains it).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Maverik
Level 6

It will archive everything ten times.  A 10MB email sent to 10MB of people will use 100MB of space (take away perhaps some for compression).

I have attached a PDF Whiteapaper on single instancing in version 8.

Hope this helps.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

...to clarify a bit...  In your current configuration the email and attachement would be archived once per user.  When you enable OSIS the attachment would be archived once with pointers to all the virtual copies and the other message parts would be archived depending on their relative size (the doc you were provided explains it).

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

The main positives with the OSIS model launched in EV8, as opposed to just plain SIS in previous versions. The additional part here is to allow sharing across vault stores, which means much more improved space saving, as previously you could only share with data in the same vault store.

A good example of this would be to have the Journal and Mailbox archives in the same Vault Store Group - that way the item is managed by the journal, and everything else references it.

dchinon
Level 3