cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching archived mails

Eu-Tjin_Gan
Level 4
i have an issue with attaching archived mails.  i create a new message, attach an archived mail from my mailbox, send it to my colleague, my colleague is not able to open it.  error message is "you do not have access to the vault".  from the look of it, opening the attachment, actually opens the the mail from my vault.

it seems the shortcut is being attached to the message, and not the original item.  is there a way to change this?  it is rather tiresome to return a mail from vault, in order to attach it and send it to someone.

i know that forwarding an archived mail can be customized to forward the original item or the shortcut, but does attaching archived mails have the same option?

thanks!!
7 REPLIES 7

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
This is not possible at the moment...I do know that there will be the ability to forward multiple archived items (obviously have it set to forward the original and not shortcut in the policy) in a later release of EV.

Message Edited by andra christie on 05-06-200711:36 PM

Eu-Tjin_Gan
Level 4
hi andra,

thanks for clarifying that.  in summary, the current release of EV needs users to return a mail from vault before sending it as an attachment?

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Yes you have to restore the item or items first - unless you forward the item and your policy is set to forward the original item and not the shortcut.

If the person you send ev shortcuts attached in an email to has access to your archive, then they will be able to open those items - but obviously you would not want to give everyone access to each other's archives.

http://enhancement.symantec.com/ if you would like to put through any suggestions for product enhancements :)

have sent you a private message

Message Edited by andra christie on 05-06-200711:47 PM

Eu-Tjin_Gan
Level 4
Thanks Andra.  I've put in a request for enhancement via the URL.

Joe_Credco
Level 2
I have noticed this as well, but one thing we also noticed that wasn't mentioned is that while accessing it using the Outlook client we get access denied, but if you open the attached link using OWA, you can open the email.  Do you know why this is?

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
You would need access (permissions) to the Sender's Archive in order to open that item.

Joe_Credco
Level 2
That's the issue, a person who doesn't have any rights whatsoever to another person's vault, is able to view messages archived in that person's vault if sent as an attached file and viewed through OWA, the Outlook client gives the proper message saying the user doesn't have rights.  If it helps, we're running Exchange 2003 SP2, EV SP2 on the vault server, SP4 OWA extensions on the Exchange front and backend servers.