cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to get off the Vault

saeid_A
Level 2

I am looking into getting our uses off the Vault system and looking for the best solution. I have many corruption in the database and the export to original mailbox is not working for 90% of the users because of bad or corrupted CAB files which were caused by HD crushed in 2005.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
EV should be restoring what it can, and the export wizard should be able to do date ranges so you can tell it to export anything from 2010 onwards It will obviously try and export everything In that date range but if it's corrupt should still carry on You might run in to an evftenzy issue where it shuts down if you encounter 10,000 or more errors in 7200 seconds, but anything like archive shuttle or TransVault would give you that as well
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Saeid,

If you do not have backups to recover the data, the best approiach would be to run an EVSVR Verify to determine the items that can't be retrieved from the storage and remove them from the EV databases. I suggest you to open a case with support to assist you further with this process.

I hope this helps.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unfortunately any third party solution will have problems with the corruption.  An application like our Archive Shuttle can do a migration for you but for the items that were lost we would still throw errors.

For items that can't be restored or migrated you could look at changing the message class of the shortcuts for those item to ipm.note, understanding you wouldn't have any attachments and only the content of the shortcut.

PM me if you have any other questions about our software.

TS

saeid_A
Level 2

Thanks Tony, I really do not care of the corrupted files since they all are 2005 and older. The problem i have with the export to original mailbox tool from EV is that it goes through the whole mailbox and it would not do any thing if there is a issue and there are issues almost in every mailbox maybe of item but still prevents me from going forward.

JesusWept3
Level 6
EV should be restoring what it can, and the export wizard should be able to do date ranges so you can tell it to export anything from 2010 onwards It will obviously try and export everything In that date range but if it's corrupt should still carry on You might run in to an evftenzy issue where it shuts down if you encounter 10,000 or more errors in 7200 seconds, but anything like archive shuttle or TransVault would give you that as well
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

SHI-CRO
Level 6

We've been using a company called Nuix a bit recently to export data from EV.  It's an e-discovery tool, but what makes it good for EV exports is that it doesn't need the EV application to export the data.  It can read the data directly off the storage (it does need the directory and VS databases mounted locally though) and then index the data and export it.  It's not a true migrator, but it can do exports really fast.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it maintains folder information in structured archives, but for journal archives, or if you don't care about keeping the folder heiarchy, it works really well.

It obviously couldn't help with the missing data, but would be able to let you know what it couldn't get.

saeid_A
Level 2

Symantec Enterprise Vault export to original mailbox works great if there is no corruption. Even if there is one bad object it will not complete the export and finishes the job. I wish it could just have an option to ignor the errors.

I will look into Trans Vault, archive shuttle and Nuix. I do not mind to pay small amount of money to export user's mailboxes from EV to Exchange 2010.

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

PST Export is designed to ignore and move on to next item, if some item fails to restore.  Before ignoring, it checks the reason of failure – and if it concludes the error being non-fatal, its ignored. But if it thinks its fatal error, it aborts the export process.

There was an issue that it used to fail when it encounters a Bad item but it has been fixed in Version 9.0.4 & 10.0.2