cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken placeholders

Majencia
Level 2

Hello. We previously had an EV server managed by an external company( as the whole infrastructure).

When we got separated from our main company, we built a new infrastructure including a new EV server V8.0.3.1845 on Windows 2003 R2.

The didn't wait for us to build the new server before closing the link beetwen our networks, they just sent us an external drive with unarchived files on it.

We re-archived thoses files on a server and moved the placeholders to their original place on the file servers.

Problem: the move didn't work because they were allready the same placeholders on the destination folders : error message :Item not processed. Destination file already exists

So I tried to delete those orphan placeholders still linked to the old server. Still not working, because EV doesn't consider them to be orphan: error message for each file : Scan failed

When trying to open such an archived file, the file server reports an error like this :

http://old_server_name/download.asp?VaultID=/EnterpriseVaut1BC6E6F95486BB8439F74513F58CD29FC1110000evsite&SavesetId=169758000000000~200904070924550000~0~7FC5A4CD7A164311A1D11D1E9F17B66&Request=NativeItem&EVHeaders=1&HashName=SHA256
Error The server name could not be resolved   [0xc0045023]

Symantec support has absolutely no idea how to fix this issue, the only solution they propose me is to set an alias in DNS, with the ip of the new EV server pointing to the old server name....As if the Vault ID and Saveset Id could be the same!

The only solution is very tricky besause I have to first manually delete each wrong placeholder and then use FSA utility to move the good one.

A real solution will be greatly appreciate!!!!

3 REPLIES 3

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,
So let me get some confirmation as I am slightly confused. You had the following, for example:-

FileServer1 archiving to EV1

You then had the connection cut off to EV1 so this is non existent but you were given the files from FileServer1 before they were archived.

You then created EV2 and archived these files.
Obviously the placeholders on FileServer1 will not work as they are still looking for EV1
Also if you point the EV1 address to EV2 by DNS Alias entry this will not work either as they are completely different archived items and will have a different vaultID and Saveset ID as you mentioned.

What I am confused about is the archiving of these files as you must have put them somewhere to archive them. I am presuming you put the files on FileServer2 for example and archived them to EV2 but now you actually want the placeholders to reside on FileServer1 but point to the archived items in EV2.

I am on the right track here before we go any further?

Regards...Paul.

Majencia
Level 2

Paul, you are absolutely right. This is my situation.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In EV9 there was an additional feature added to FSAUtility which is placeholder migration. The switch is -pm and I think this could help you in this situation. Not 100% sure at the minute as I have not used it myself yet but I will give it a test when I get some spare time over the next few days. Or if you have a UAT system then you could give it a go.

You can get information about this in the Utilities Guide which resides in the Documentation\En folder.