cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can EV stubs work for retrieval when moved to Office 365?

Anon_Man
Level 4

Hi All

Probably a daft question, but one I desperately need a definitive answer to.
EV9 SP3 archiving against a mix or E2k7 and E2k10 servers.

I'm testing migration scenarios for Exchange on prem to O365.
We're considering what would happen if we migrated EV archives to O365 archives AFTER the Exchange mailbox migration was complete.

The question is: IF we decided to migrate mailboxes to O365 without restoring or expiring shortcuts.  Is there any way retrieval from shortcuts/stubs could be made to work, even temporarily?  I've tested and get an error "Enterprise vault is not available because of your outlook configuration"  (That error normally occurs when the desktop policy isn't configured for rpc/http).

Now I know that this isn't best practice and obviously archiving and restoring would not work.

If this isn't going to work, there's always Archive Explorer and Search URLs to access data, but it's slow and not as user-friendly as stubs.

Any help is very much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Clicking the shortcut makes a call to the EV server for the message.  It isn't guaranteed to work and I would not count on it working long term as there are many things that could cause it not to.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling

When you say retrieval do you mean just double clicking and viewing or actually restoring?

As long as the EV Add-in is active and the EV server is available you should be able to double click and view. You would not want to rely on that, however.  Any change to Outlook or the EV hidden message corrupts and you loose access.

Restoring via the Restore button will not work, period.

Best option would be to migrate the archived items to the O365 archive mailbox.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

in general you're talking about an unsupported configuration and i wouldnt recommend relying on it. even from the client side, the EV 9 doesnt support Outlook 2013.

Anon_Man
Level 4

Hi Tony.

Yes retrieving by double-clicking to view, as opposed to actually restoring.

So you're saying that it will work, which is good.
Not matching my experience so far, but perhaps I need to setup an on-site proxy via a CAS server as that error seems to be suggesting.  Odd, retrieval works 100% when the mailbox is on an on-premise Exchange server, but breaks as soon as it's moved to O365 - it also starts working again if I move the same mailbox BACK to on-premise.

My testing so far is in a test lab environment, so I have the freedom to create pretty much everything I need to do to solve the problem.

Anon_Man
Level 4

Maybe it's unsupported, but as long as it works I'm not too worried.  :)

We're not worried about not supporting Outlook 2013 at the moment.

Anon_Man
Level 4

Hi Tony

My reply to you seems to have vanished, so here we go again....

Yes, retrieval by double-clicking and not restoring.

Good to hear that it SHOULD work, pity that's not been my experience so far.  It's a test lab environment at the moment so I'll try a few things..

Thanks

TonySterling

Clicking the shortcut makes a call to the EV server for the message.  It isn't guaranteed to work and I would not count on it working long term as there are many things that could cause it not to.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

for starters, it doesnt work and if you do get it to work it'll be inconvenient for your users (expect increased call volume to the help desk) and unreliable (someone - a VIP most likely - is going to need to restore an email urgently and wont be able to get to it.) but as long as you know what you're getting into...

Anon_Man
Level 4

Fair comment and a valid point, thanks.

Urgent restoring will have to be handled through AE/search to an on-premise mailbox.
Far from ideal, I grant you, but there are some significant benefits to us if we can get this to work in the short term.