cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can dual homing be done on EV servers?

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Hi,

Please let us know if dual homing of network be done for EV server.  The last time we tried to do this we ran into issues with EV...Directory service would not start up.  We have EV6.0SP4 on W2K3 SP1 server.

Thanks,

Anu
9 REPLIES 9

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
It depends on what you want to balance between the Network cards.  EV relys on DNS to resolve names, and for the clients to resolve the EV Server.  If You are trying to balance the traffic between cleints and EV, and the way EV talks to SQL then no, multi homing can cause issues.  I you are just setting up a backup network or something like that then you can use the Route Add command to reduce confusion.

Teaming may be the better option...

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Rob,

We are doing Adapter teaming for all the servers.  Is there any additional step to be done for EV servers?

Thanks,

Anu

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Rob,

Just a followup to the reply I sent you earlier, what is a "route add command".  We are doing the dual homing mainly for "failover purposes".

Thanks,

Anu

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
Route Add - THis command ius used when you have adaptors on two different Networks in order for TCP/IP to correctly route traffic to the correct NIC.

If you are using teaming then all DNS entries should point to the shared IP Address, no other configuration is required.

Regards

Rob

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Rob,

Thanks for your reply.  We do have everything set up as you had suggested, we still had issues starting up EV services on our server.

Please see below an article that I had come across under Enterprise Vault documents.  I know this article does not directly relate to dual homing but I was wondering does EV license associate with the MAC address of the NIC card on the server?

Please let us know if the above document saying has any value to the issue at hand.

Thanks for your help.

Anu

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
In EV 6 and before the license can contain the Host name, this is no longer the same in version 7.

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Rob,

We have EV6.0 SP4 installed on the server.  So, this is a valid issue with license, right.  Please confirm that only an upgrade to Version 7.0 would help us at this point.

Thanks for your help.

Anu

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
Not necessarily. Upgrading to EV 7 is one solution, the other solution maybe to contact Customer care, and they can reissue you, your license keys, without a Host restriction.

I'd check your license key first, for the entries HostID=  if this is tied to a MAC address or a host name then either of the two options above will do.

You cant manully edit this, file, that does not work.

Anuradha_Tondam
Level 5
Rob,

Thanks for all your input.  We will check into this on our side.

Regards,

Anu