cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not delete email from virtaul vault

Eric_from_Paris
Level 3

Hi all,

We use EV 8 SP4 with Outlook 2003/Exchange 2003.

When i delete an email from the virtual vault, the email email is deleted (without any error message)

But when i sync the virtual vault, the email come back.

I don't understand why...

Could u help me please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Eric

Then this is your problem, you are not allowed to delete items in this retention category.

Virtual Vault is "just" a view of your archive. If you delete it from Virtual Vault, it gets deleted in your archive.

What do you mean by "delete old items from the virtual vault to have more space for new items"?  More space in the archive? (Do you have quotas set?) Or what exactly?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6

When you say it comes back, does it go back to its original folder or just in the deleted items?

Do you allow users to delete in your site properties?
Do you have the dumpster enabled and set to how long?
What happens if you delete items through Archive explorer or search?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Eric_from_Paris
Level 3

The email i try to delete is in my virtual vault only (and not in my mailbox).

When i delete it (click on the email then 'delete key') from its folder in the virtual vault, first the email goes in the deleted items of the virtual vault. So, i delete it from the deleted item (click on the email then 'delete key'). At this moment, the email seems deleted (can't find it anymore in the virtual vault). Then, i launch a sync of the virtual vault : the email come back in its original folder in the virtual vault.

User are allowed to delete in the 'site propertie' but the retention category is set to 'Prevent deletion of archived items in this category'. It is set this way because i don't want users to delete an archived item. But i want them to be alowed to 'clean' their virtual vault (delete old items from the virtual vault to have more space for new items).

It is not alowed to delete items through archive explorer.

MichelZ
Level 6

Eric

Then this is your problem, you are not allowed to delete items in this retention category.

Virtual Vault is "just" a view of your archive. If you delete it from Virtual Vault, it gets deleted in your archive.

What do you mean by "delete old items from the virtual vault to have more space for new items"?  More space in the archive? (Do you have quotas set?) Or what exactly?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

JesusWept3
Level 6

agreed with michelz, and if you mean create more room for new items (i.e your store is allowed to be 6GB and you have 5.9GB of items in your vault cache) then Vault Cache itself will prune the oldest items from the local copy

This doesn't mean it will delete it from the archive though, just the local vault cache, and the newer archived items will then be stored

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Eric_from_Paris
Level 3

Thanks to all for your answer.

I understand that there is no way to "manualy" manage the items displayed in the vault cache.