cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access Archived files

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

I needed to do a mass recall on a folder so i turned off archiving and created a policy on that drive for "Do Not Archive" on that folder within Enterprise Vault V8.0.2.1693 and tried to do a mass recall but it was not successful.

I went into the folder itself and tried to open an archived file ( the one with the black clock icon on it)

i get an error when opening the file saying it could be corrupt

i have turned the archiving back on that folder and selected "Run Now" to rescan the drive and this ran the "fileserver archiving task", this took about an hour

however i still cannot open the archived files, there was no problems before i turned the archiving off

Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mr_Invincible
Level 3
i have run the commands below

net stop "Enterprise Vault File Placeholder Service"
fltmc unload EvFilter
fltmc load EvFilter
net start "Enterprise Vault File Placeholder Service

i still had no access to the files
this file server was part of a cluster, so i done a cluster failover, once i done this i could access the files, i rebooted the first server and when it was back up i done a failover back to that, i can also access the files on that.
however archive explorer does not display the list of folders within this drive, but not to worry this is a seperate issue.

thanks for all the responses to this thread, its helped me a lot

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What filesystem?

Is the FSA Agent running?

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

it seems to be running, other folders are not affected, its just the 1 folder

how do i check the file system?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Best thing to do is ask the owner of the file server, it could be a local NTFS drive, it could be a mountpoint, it could be a netapp, could be a number of things.

If it *is* a netapp though, and you are attempting to retrieve files on the EV Server itself though, that will fail, its a limitation that you cannot recall items on the EV Server that runs the Placholder service for the netapp.

really though you'd need to get a dtrace on the placeholder service to see whats actually happening when you attempt to recall items

I take it that if you go to http://yourEVServer/enterpriseVault/ArchiveExplorerUI.asp you can see the file servers listed in AE and open the items through AE, correct?

If you can't open it through Archive Explorer, the chances of it opening on the file system are little to none

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

If you are having issues recalling individaul files (Placeholders) from that folder then it would imply you have an issue wher more investigation may be required, however, if you are trying the bulk recall the same way, and still having issues, it would be worth checking if the settings are still controlling the max number of recalls. It would help to set the BypassRecallLimitsForAdmins, and try bulk recalling under the context of an Administrative user account.

Alternatively I would suggest you experiment with the FSAUtility -t option and restore all the content from that folder path.

Sergy_Stouk
Level 3

Here are the troubleshooting steps I would follow on Windows (NTFS) Share:

1) Are other shares recalling vaulted files OK or not?

If yes - then a problem is limited to this share; If not - problem with Vault Server which is a separate troubleshooting tree. This one assumes that other shares are OK.

2) Reload the Filter Driver from the command line using the following command:

fltmc unload EvFilter
fltmc load EvFilter
net start "Enterprise Vault File Placeholder Service"

3) Make sure FilePlaceholder Service is started.

4) Check if individual file can be recalled? If cannot be recalled - check if you have deleted the Server/Archiving Root from the Vault's Archiving Targets on Vault Server. Recreate the Archiving Root again and try again; I would just delete/re-create the archiving target even if it's there - you might encounter other clues if there is a problem communicating with the server from vault.

5) If you can recall individual file but Mass-recall does not work - it means in Server's Registry there is a MaxRecall limit set and also there is no Bypass Recall for Administrators. Check Registry settings and make sure to remove the limit.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\KVS\Enterprise Vault\FSA\PlaceholderService]
"RecallLimitMaxRecalls"
"RecallLimitTimeInterval"
"BypassRecalLimitsForAdmins"

once changes to registry done - restart the FPS service and try again.

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

The only services i have on the enterprise vault server are

Enterprise vault admin service
enterprise vault directory service
enterprise vault indexing service
enterprise vault shopping service
enterprise vault storage service
enterprise vault task controller service

There was no issue with the file recall before i turned off archiving, the problem only arose when i turned the archiving off on this 1 folder

other archived files on other folders are accessible and i can do a file recall.

it doesn't look like an issue with services as i can recall files from different folders

The problem seems to be that once i turned off the archiving, enterprise vault disconnected itself from the archived files in that folder, i need to get a way for enterprise vault to be associated with the archived files again

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

The Placeholder Service runs on the file server, not on the EV server.

When you say you turned off the archiving, I assume you just removed the check box from the target.

This should not impact the retrieval of placeholders as it only tells the FSA Archiving Task not to process the folder/volume target.

How exactly did you turn off archiving?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

only reason i said the PHS is if you have a netapp it runs on the ev server, not the file server (since, you know, its a file system and all!)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

You mentioned that you get a prompt saying that the item could be corrupt.

Have you tried accessing the item via Archive Explorer? This should help you confirm if the corruption exists in the Archive or in the placeholder.

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

on the folder i deselected "archive this volume"

i also created a do not archive policy and assigned it to the folder

i cannot access archive explorer through http://EV Server/enterpriseVault/ArchiveExplorerUI.as

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

The correct url to ArchiveExplorer should point to 'ArchiveExplorerUI.ASP'

Hi JesusWept2, the idea that the PHS runs on the EV server when NetApp targets are being processed is not correct. This is a misunderstanding which recently has been clarified in our documentation since EV 9.0.x where it is stated clearly that the FSA Agent should not be installed on the EV server.

What the old documentationmeant is that when EV processes a NetApp target, there is a slave process which runs on the EV server that take care of the calls to the ONTAP API.

I agree the way it used to be worded was misleading.

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

If you cannot acess the Archive via ArchiveExplorer.ASP, check the permissions set to the actual Archive in the VAC and manually add permissions to the user you are loged on as when accessing ArchiveExplorer.

The way you described how you disabled archiving at the folder level cannot be the reason why you cannot access the archived items.

I hope you haven't deleted the actual Archive associated with that target.

Dtrace in verbose mode should help you identify why the items cannot be retrieved.

on File Server - set PlaceholderService

on EV server - set StorageOnlineOpns & W3WP

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

i have got into archive explorer

i can see my archives but when i try to expand my folder nothing happens

i can expand and see other archived folders

i am doing the dtrace at the minute

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

what is the command i should use for DTrace?

below is the UNC path for my folder

\\shares\U$\Users

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH38122

Mr_Invincible
Level 3

i have ran dtrace in EV

There is 3 options down the bottom

Restoring and Retrieval issues (exchange)

Restoring and Retrieval issues (Domino)

Restoring and Retrieval issues

it does not allow me to select "Restoring and Retrieval issues", it automatically selects it for domino when i click onto it

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Have you read that article? It explains in simple terms how to set specific processes via CMD.

This way you avoid additional 'noise' on the tracing output.

The dtrace templates that can be launched via the VAC are based on pre-defined ini files that are generalised for certain types of operations.

Mr_Invincible
Level 3
i have run the commands below

fltmc unload EvFilter
fltmc load EvFilter
net start "Enterprise Vault File Placeholder Service

i still had no access to the files
this file server was part of a cluster, so i done a cluster failover, once i done this i could access the files, i rebooted the first server and when it was back up i done a failover back to that, i can also access the files on that.
however archive explorer does not display the list of folders within this drive, but not to worry this is a seperate issue.

thanks for all the responses to this thread, its helped me a lot

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Can you mark this as SOLVED?