cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot view Archived email via OWA

BlueEchoes
Level 4

Exchange cluster, front end and 2 back end nodes. Exchange 2003.

We cannot view Archived emails while in OWA. The EV toolbar is visable, but the archive emails show this message:

The archived item is currently unavailable.
If you choose reply of forward, only the content shown below will be included.
Click here to preview the original item.

When I click there, I get a page cannot be found page HTTP Error 404, file or directly not found.

When I go to run the update on the front end and back end server, I get an error:

4/15/2009 12:53:10 PM : Warning : ConfigureProxyVirtDir                : Proxy virtual directory already exists, skipping configuration

Application Event log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WSH
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2
Date:  6/29/2010
Time:  9:34:24 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: ILWD-ITEXFE01V
Description:
There were warnings during the execution of the following command :

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\OWA\FrontEnd2003Setup.wsf"  

I then try to run the exchange front end extensions configuration and get this:

Warning: Proxy virtual directory already exists, skipping configuration.

an error message flashes but cannot read it.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
it just means that its not going to create the /EnterpriseVaultProxy virtual directory because it already exists (most likely due to a previous config had run and set it up)
However the Proxy virtual directory only affects the operation of Archive Explorer and Search through OWA and Outlook Anywhere / RPC over HTTP in Outlook.
This would also affect your banner like you said because it will try and call a page through the proxy directory

so suggest removing all the EV virtual directories (EnterpriseVaultExchange, EnterpriseVaultOWA, EnterpriseVaultProxy etc)

the EVExchange and EVOWA directories may need to be deleted through Exchange as opposed to IIS and then try running the config again.
you may also want to try running 'proxycfg -d' on the exchange server to make sure this isn't a WinHTTP Proxy issue on the server.

Also make sure you have run the OWAUser.wsf script on the EV Server with a fully populated ExchangeServers.txt file existing in the EV Directory and then restart the admin service and resync all users
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
it just means that its not going to create the /EnterpriseVaultProxy virtual directory because it already exists (most likely due to a previous config had run and set it up)
However the Proxy virtual directory only affects the operation of Archive Explorer and Search through OWA and Outlook Anywhere / RPC over HTTP in Outlook.
This would also affect your banner like you said because it will try and call a page through the proxy directory

so suggest removing all the EV virtual directories (EnterpriseVaultExchange, EnterpriseVaultOWA, EnterpriseVaultProxy etc)

the EVExchange and EVOWA directories may need to be deleted through Exchange as opposed to IIS and then try running the config again.
you may also want to try running 'proxycfg -d' on the exchange server to make sure this isn't a WinHTTP Proxy issue on the server.

Also make sure you have run the OWAUser.wsf script on the EV Server with a fully populated ExchangeServers.txt file existing in the EV Directory and then restart the admin service and resync all users

JesusWept3
Level 6
oh and also general troubleshooting tips, always concentrate on the Backend servers first, don't move on till they're working
when you're working with a Network Load Balancing and such make sure you go to the IP Address to make sure you are hitting the correct server

BlueEchoes
Level 4
Got it! The SP4 install for 2003 OWA extensions has a MakeEVServersTxt.wsf that I ran. It created the file I placed on the servers in the OWA folder. It created a file with one line:

ILWD-ITEV01.XXXX.COM

And that is what I used. After investigating, I went into the file and noticed it was missing info:

ILWD-ITEV01
ILWD-ITS02.XXXX.COM
ILWD-ITS02

Once I added them in, OWA started working again.