cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change retention of existing archives with Vault v9.0.2

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi all,

We've a Vault site (v9.0.2 for Exchange 2003 + 700 Vault users. Volume of archives ~1.9TB) with 6 retentions (3,6, 9 months and 1,3,5 years retention).

With EVPM, Vault is enabled and a specific folder is created with a 5 years retention. Users then drop items to this folder and witch requires 5 years retention.

Now, we must change retention of all items (new and existing items) from 5 to 10 years.

I'm trying to find the best (and quickest) way to update this items.

Solution 1: create a 10 years retention from Vault console. Then, user creates a folder (with 10 years retention applied) and move shortcuts from existing folder (where 5 years retention is applied) to this new folder. Retention will be updated at next shortcut processing.

But what about items already archived with 5 years retention AND with no corresponding shortcuts (deleted by user) ? Based on doc, user needs to restore from archive explorer (or search Vault) and rearchive at 10 years.

Solution 2: user changes retention applied on existing folder (from 5 to 10 years)

Advantage: this operation avoids user to move his shortcuts

But what about existing archives? As there's no move of shortcuts, I suppose retention of these existing archives will not be updated from 5 to 10 years.

Solution 3: From Vault console, change existing 5 years retention to 10 years.

Advantage: no intervention from user.

But what about existing archives? archives (with shortcuts AND no shortcuts) with 5 years retention will be reflagged with this new retention period? If reflagged, what will be the impact on Vault/Exchange as lots of users keep their shortcuts (Shortcut deletion not enabled from Vault console as not desired by client...).

I'll appreciate an advice.

Kr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

by design, if you change the settings of a retention category then they apply to any items that were archived with that retention category. it's only when you want to completely change the retention category of an archived item to a new or different retention category that it becomes complicated like you laid out in your first two examples.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AndrewB

if your requirement is as straightforward as "everything that's been archived with the 5 year retention needs to be kept for 10 years instead of 5" then solution 3 is the simplest route and it will apply to all items regardless of having a shortcut or not.

Zenworks2001
Level 5

Hi AndrewB,

Is it indicated in some Symantec documentation or reference? How can I verify this statement?

And what will be the impact on Exchange/Vault as, I suppose, all shortcuts (millions of shortcuts never deleted) will be "reflagged" (even though name of retention is not changed from Vault console but only retention period- from 5 to 10 years) ?

Kr,

AndrewB

by design, if you change the settings of a retention category then they apply to any items that were archived with that retention category. it's only when you want to completely change the retention category of an archived item to a new or different retention category that it becomes complicated like you laid out in your first two examples.