Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-Server Communication Details

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
Hello all,

I need to find information about how exactly and Outlook add-in communicates to the EV server. How does a plug-in find its EV server on first install? What does EV server do to an Exchange server and mailboxes in it in terms of this process, in other words when we enable a mailbox?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi bekidur,

I do not quite understand what you are looking for, because the question jumps arround a bit. However this might answer some:

The Client Extension can use DCOM or HTTP to speak to the Enterprise Vault Server.
You can install the client well before you enable the mailbox for archiving. The client will only get activated once the mailbox has been enabled for archiving.
When you Enable the mailbox for archiving, Enterprise Vault writes a hidden message into the mailbox, the client reads the settings from there.

Hope this helps.

--wayne

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi bekidur,

I do not quite understand what you are looking for, because the question jumps arround a bit. However this might answer some:

The Client Extension can use DCOM or HTTP to speak to the Enterprise Vault Server.
You can install the client well before you enable the mailbox for archiving. The client will only get activated once the mailbox has been enabled for archiving.
When you Enable the mailbox for archiving, Enterprise Vault writes a hidden message into the mailbox, the client reads the settings from there.

Hope this helps.

--wayne

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
And then starts communicating directly to the EV server, correct?

thanks, that was what I am looking for.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Yes, the client speaks to the Enterprise Vault Server using DCOM or HTTP, depending which client you installed.

Full Client - DCOM
Light Client - HTTP

--wayne

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
In addition there are somethings that only the full client can do (eg choose your destination archive when manually archiving, and seeing the EV tab on folder properties).  The lite client doesn't allow these.  The lite client will automatically be used if you have RPC/HTTP configured in your profile, even if you aren't connected via RPC/HTTP.  There is a registry key that can be implemented on the client which overrides that, if you have that in the environment and want to use either of the two features, you'll need the registry key.

Working for cloudficient.com

Bekir
Level 4
Partner
thanks guys.

bet regards,
bekir