cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections: Advanced Utilization - Questions

Caio_Campi
Level 2
Hi All,

I'm using collections for a period of time and now we are facing some doubts about how we could improve the utilization of collection and its necessity about being turned on over closed partitions that were already collected.

THe doubts are:
  1. Should we keep collections turned on after a closed partition finished collected for more than 2 weeks?
  2. Could the collection process be stopped after the 6855 event says 0 for more than a week and than for some reason if turned on it start to collect again? (We had this case and we don't know why happened)
  3. Will the .CabDVS file only be deleted from the temporary state if the Collection is turned on? Or it is special process/feature of collections that runs different from the daily collection process?
Thanks to all for the attention,

Caio Campi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Caio

1) Depends is it a journal Archive? on mailbox I would leave it on, but if its a Journal Vault Store, you could potentially look in turning it off, but if you recall items then you would need to turn it back on.
2) Yes, you can if you want to.
3)Yes collections still needs to run to clean up the archdvs files.

In Enterprise Vault v8 we now have a thread pool, which does a quick check to see if collections needs to spawn a collection. The thread management in Enterprise Vaultv8 is 100% better, so maybe look into upgrading.

--wayne

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Hi Caio

1) Depends is it a journal Archive? on mailbox I would leave it on, but if its a Journal Vault Store, you could potentially look in turning it off, but if you recall items then you would need to turn it back on.
2) Yes, you can if you want to.
3)Yes collections still needs to run to clean up the archdvs files.

In Enterprise Vault v8 we now have a thread pool, which does a quick check to see if collections needs to spawn a collection. The thread management in Enterprise Vaultv8 is 100% better, so maybe look into upgrading.

--wayne

Caio_Campi
Level 2
Hi Wayne,

thanks for the fast response. We are running collection for Mailboxes only. We were not sure if turning collections off would also better increase the Server performance.

But now I'm sure if we have a bunch of .ArchDVS files there and collection is turned off we will have a increase also into these new temporary files that will never be deleted.

We don't have a plan yet in deep to migrate to the V8. I've being using it just as a test environment but I could see what you mean. It's look like much better not only on Collection feature but as general.

Thanks for the response.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Caio,

No problems, if this has answered all your questions please don't forget to vote and mark the thread as resolved :)

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee
Hi,

Not only do you need collections running to tidy up .archdvs files etc. but you also need it to deal with 'sparse collections'.
If you have items being deleted that are in collections, they are not immediately removed from the collection but only when the collection is seen as being 'sparse' ie enough data within the collection has been deleted that it's worth undoing the collection to then recollect just the unexpired data. So the collection processing deals with these too.