cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Command-Line Update Service Locations?

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
Hello - I'm currently implementing a scenario in which Enterprise Vault utilizes Veritas Volume Replicator to transport data continuously to a DR site. The client did not buy the Global Cluster Option, we haven't implemented VCS.

Basically I need to be able to automate as much as possible the failover process. In a true DR scenario I'd just have the secondary node take over the primary role in VVR, change the CNAME's in DNS, restart the EV and dependency services on the DR server, and update service locations.

I would love to be able to handle the update service locations portion of this process in script. Right now it appears I can only do this via the MMC. Anyone have any suggestions on CLI automation here?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I do not think running the sql only will do what you want.  The command I remember is creating a bat file called USL_Script.bat with the body being something like:

c:\program files\Enterprise Vault>c:\winnt\system32\rundll32.exe c:\program files\enterprise vault\SnapIn.DLL,RunDllCLUSL <password>

Replace <password> with the Enterprise Vault Services Account password

You may want to verify with support and definitely test in your lab. 

Message Edited by Tony Sterling on 12-06-2007 06:08 PM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Ryan

You had to do this via Script in Version 5, so I think it *is* possible.
Unfortunately, I don't know how.

Maybe a Symantec tech can give further information.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
Well I haven't got a response from a Symantec Tech yet.

I am assuming the ServiceLocations.sql script is what does the magic?
I am assuming that use of osql to execute this script against the EnterpriseVaultDirectory DSN would be the approach?

Poor man's clustering isn't easy folks. But the Global Cluster Option if you try to do this.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Sounds right :)

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I do not think running the sql only will do what you want.  The command I remember is creating a bat file called USL_Script.bat with the body being something like:

c:\program files\Enterprise Vault>c:\winnt\system32\rundll32.exe c:\program files\enterprise vault\SnapIn.DLL,RunDllCLUSL <password>

Replace <password> with the Enterprise Vault Services Account password

You may want to verify with support and definitely test in your lab. 

Message Edited by Tony Sterling on 12-06-2007 06:08 PM

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner
Please post your finding. I would like to have this information.

Jim S.

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
Well... that doesn't appear to do anything. Thanks for the information, perhaps I will get it to work yet...