cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical Alerts for Space in Directory Database Log & Vault Store database Log.

Stanley_Korivi
Level 3

Critical Alerts for Space in Directory Database Log & Vault Store database Log.

We have been getting this alert  for Directory database transaction Log & SQL database transaction log for vault Store"

The Directory database transaction log has used 98% of its allocated space.

The Directory database contains the Enterprise Vault configuration details and other information. Enterprise Vault cannot function without this database.

This problem is most likely to be caused by a failed backup or the database configuration.

I checked with my DBA team & they mentioned that both the databases are set to Autogrowth with unrestricted growth for data & Log. & the drives storing the database & log files have good amount of free space.

I also checked with my backup & they mentioned that backup's have been successfully running & they see no issues. Any idea why these alerts are still popping? I will be upgrading Enterprise Vault tomorrow from 8.0 to 9.0.2 & I wanted to make sure that I have everything backup & healthy. Am i missing anything here  Can some one please advise what else i need to be looking at?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think the bottom line is that the sql logs need to backed up and truncated. i think we've all seen this enough to know that's the solution to the current issue. however, the issue of the files not auto-growing per the setting or the feature not working as expected is something limited to SQL and beyond anything that goes on in EV.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
At what point does it autogrow? 90%?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Stanley_Korivi
Level 3

I am checking with my DBA team on what point it triggers autogrowth. Currently it is set to grow by 10% & the initial size is set to 594 MB & drive has about 220 GB of free space left.

Stanley_Korivi
Level 3

Response from DBA team..

There is no specific value or threshold...

if the end of the logical log does reach the start of the logical log then autogrowth is triggered

Percy_Vere
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would recommend the databases are backed up as part of an SQL maintenance plan that includes truncation of the transaction logs which should hopefully stop the warnings.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

It still sounds like there is a limit on the SQL database or log files. Can you get a screen shot of the properties of the database from your SQL admin so we can see the properties. Also what version of SQL are you running?

As per Percy's posting you should truncate your transaction log regularly throughout the day to disk to keep the size down and weekly you should index and compress the databases as good maintenance on SQL

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i think the bottom line is that the sql logs need to backed up and truncated. i think we've all seen this enough to know that's the solution to the current issue. however, the issue of the files not auto-growing per the setting or the feature not working as expected is something limited to SQL and beyond anything that goes on in EV.