cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Problem - "Server name could not be resolved"

n_sanford
Level 3
I am running Enterprise Vault v 6 with SP2. All of my users are having a problem with restoring emails. When a user clicks on a email that was archived by the Vault sometimes (not always) they will get an error that says "There was error archiving this Item, some functionality may not be available". If you click on the gray bar at the top of the email it says "Server name could not be resolved". The only way I can get around it is if I go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS and then I can look at the email. I'm pretty sure I have dns and the dns alias set correctly. Has anyone else seen this?
3 REPLIES 3

Alan_M
Level 6
When the client is experiencing this problem have you tested name resolution on the client. Ping the site and server alias from a command prompt. This will pinpoint the problem to EV or a general name resolution issue.

n_sanford
Level 3
Thanks for responding.I tried this morning and I'm still having the same problem. I did a nslookup from a command prompt and I was able to resolve the evault server name and the alias with no problem

wren_mott
Level 3
Sounds like strictly a DNS problem. On your client try flushing the DNS cache:

Close Outlook

Run: ipconfig /flushdns

PING alias name (evserver1, for exmaple)
PING server name

Both shoudl be successful

Restart Outlook

Try to retrieve an item form the vault.