cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Vault Store and number of items exceeding 100 million

LGC
Level 3
We have one default vault store with about 50 partitions all on separate SAN shares. The default vault store has 99 million items. I read an EV article, which I now cannot find, that recommends that as best practice the vault store should not exceeed 100 million items. Has anyone heard of this?

Shoud we now create a 2nd vault store or just continue creating partitions?  We are currently on EV7.5 and will be upgrading to EV8.0 SP2 early next month. If we should create a 2nd vault store should be wait until after we've upgraded or will it make no difference as all the vault stores will be part of the default vault store group after upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I believe that was posted in a performance guide for EV 2k7 (7.5).  I would recommend upgrading to EV 8 first as Michel says but remember that single instance won't be retroactive to existing items when you roll over, only items archived after the upgrade will be single-instanced between Vault Stores and partitions

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I'm not sure of this limit.

However, if you decide to open a new VS, wait until you are on 8.0, because you will lose single instance with the 7.5 storage model when you have multiple vault stores, which is no longer a limit in v8 thanks to the vault store groups.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I believe that was posted in a performance guide for EV 2k7 (7.5).  I would recommend upgrading to EV 8 first as Michel says but remember that single instance won't be retroactive to existing items when you roll over, only items archived after the upgrade will be single-instanced between Vault Stores and partitions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Found it in the Performance Guide:

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/312319.pdf

There are no specific limits on the number of items that you can store in one Vault
Store database, but we recommend that a Vault Store does not contain more than
100 million items. This makes it easier to perform database maintenance activities
such as rebuilding indexes and backing up databases. The new storage model allows
vault store databases to be rolled over regularly without loss of sharing.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

LGC
Level 3
Thanks for all your responses.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
With the number of items so large you may get alerts in your event logs stating that you need to build an index for the vault store. This is normally automatic but if the number of items in the vault are too high then the system will not auto create this index.

You can however make this index manually. CHeck out tec note 288036 for the details