cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting mailbox archive back to Exchange mailbox resulting in duplicate items.

Brian_Day
Level 6
I've tried to do my duty and search on this topic, but most of the results that come back are quite old. I've also opened support case 320-229-810 in case any Sym employee wants to take a look.

Environment: EV 7.5 SP3, MS Exchange 2003 SP2, EMC Centera for EV storage.

We are in the process of exporting some user mailbox archives from EV 7.5 SP3 back to their Exchange 2003 SP2 mailboxes in preparation of migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and 2010. These particular users will no longer be using EV and thus why we are exporting them in their entirety. While exporting some of the first users we have had complaints they are getting duplicate/triplicate messages restored to their mailbox in some cases and some other messages they swear they deleted (we allow deletion from archive) at some point in time.

We are presuming a few things may have added up to this behavior.

1) There may have been issues with archiving at some point where pending messages got canceled and re-archived.

2) The users may have restored an item from the vault and then 2 weeks later it was re-archived.

3) The users may have tried deleting an item, but due to a network issue between EV and Exchange at that moment they chose 'yes' to just deleting the shortcut at that time instead of waiting for communication to be fixed between systems.

4) They moved shortcuts after items were archived and now the export routine is putting the restored items back into the Inbox.

We could ugprade the environment to the latest SP of 8.0 to help with #4, but is anyone aware of any 3rd party or native tool today that can crawl a user's archive and find/delete duplicate entries? Management is demanding we find an answer to this before moving forward with move exports. We are aware of Outlook based tools that can do this, but we assume (haven't tested it) this would only work after a mailbox has been exported and it would require additional labor and complexities while working with every affected user (>1,000 of them).

Thank you very much in advance.
1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6
There is no de-duplicator tool Symantec could supply you, I can assure you of that. The only thing you can do is use a third party deduplicator for the PST once exported or on users mailbox. I agree with most your hypothis of how this occurred except point two which would not of allowed this issue to occur. Sorry not better news. I'll check your case tomorrow but cannot see anything will change.