cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10.0 migration of vault store partition files to NFS share

harrisi2
Level 3

Hi

Last night I set one of our older vault store partitions to migrate files to an NFS share. The partition was closed back in 2009 so I know that the files will be accessed infrequently. To free up disk space on the server we decided to use the migration tab on the vault store properties page. Full permissions have been given at the share level to the EV service account, I've set it to migrate files older than 1 month (should be all of them anyway) and the 'remove collection files from primary storage' is set for 1 week.

The issue is that i restarted the storage service and when I came in this morning I couldn't see that its migrated any files at all to the NFS location. Does this feature not work when the partition is closed or am I missing something? Any assistance would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

and as a follow up item, can you go to the collections tab on the closed partition with the migration enabled and click 'run now' and observe what happens?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AndrewB

a few questions to help gather some more information so we can help you.

which migrator option did you use?

what are the "age" settings you configure?

how is the EV server accessing the NFS share?

harrisi2
Level 3

Andrew

The migrator option was "Enterprise Vault"

Age settings were "files older than 1 month"

The EV server is accessing the NFS share via UNC path... \\evaultstore\Ptn1 (evaultstore is a dns cname for the real servername and I've confirmed its accessible from the EV server)

When I applied the settings an entry was written to the event log saying:

Due to an inconsistency the Remote Partition Root Path for this Partition
 was updated to the correct value

PartitionEntry:xxxxxxxxxxxFQDN EVservername
DirectoryPath:\\evaultstore\Ptn1
NewValue:\\evaultstore\Ptn1
OldValue:

AndrewB

are you sure this is NFS or is it CIFS? does the EV service account have read, write, and delete permissions to this new path?

AndrewB

and as a follow up item, can you go to the collections tab on the closed partition with the migration enabled and click 'run now' and observe what happens?

harrisi2
Level 3

Thanks Andrew...My mistake on calling it NFS when it is CIFS.

I've clicked the 'run now' and it looks like there's migration activity happening on the destination drive. The collection run was set for between 8PM and 3AM. Do we need to manually kick it off for any closed partitions in future?

Either way, thanks for your help. Good call!

AndrewB

i'm glad that did the trick but without further investigation (dtrace, etc) i can't tell what exactly was preventing it from working during the scheduled time. maybe it was a temporary environmental issue, maybe EV was in backup mode, etc.

harrisi2
Level 3

Andrew

Thanks. Since looking thru the forum I might look at moving rather than migrating other partitions. That will save on drive letters as well. Looks like I just need to follow this one:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35742

cheers

Ian

AndrewB

that would be my preferred option if it meets your requrements